Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DELLsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Hey everyone. Did Apple stop making the Airport Extreme? Can't find it for sale at apple.com. I have two different models still in use at home to establish a semblance of mesh WIFI coverage for my Windows PCs and other WIFI dependent devices.

Now that I finally have fiber optic internet access via AT&T, I was wondering if my newest AE (Jenga tower-looking model) would be able to extend the new AT&T wireless network or if I need to order their own WIFI extender.

techwarrior

macrumors 65816
Jul 30, 2009
Colorado
Apple discontinued the Airport line. They still work, and should work with any ISP service.

The ATT Fiber service generally terminates on a combo modem\router as I understand, so you would need to inquire if they have a modem only option, or how to set the ATT unit to bridge mode to disable the router and WiFi.

The best way to use two AP Extremes is to designate one as the router, connected to the modem, then run ethernet to the WAN port of the second unit and set it up in bridged mode in the AP Utility. If ethernet is difficult to reach where the second unit is needed, power line adapters are a good way to extend ethernet to remote locations using the home power wires.

Wireless extending should never be used with Airport products, they may support it, but it is generally not recommended as it ends up with poor performance due to sharing the radios for uplink and client connections.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.