Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lozanoj83, Jan 2, 2008.

1. lozanoj83 macrumors 6502a

lozanoj83

In planning to buy an Airport Extreme this weekend. Do you guys think I should or do you think Apple will update them at this upcoming Macworld? Thanks :]

2. garry12 macrumors newbie

There haven't been any suggestions of them updating the Airport Extreme's and they tend to get updated less often then the computers.

The currents models however are great and I have no hesitation in recommending them. Easy to setup and use and I've never had a problem with it.

3. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I never travel without one, i just packed my bags for a trip and i made sure i had one. Its great when i travel and do not want to be wired down in a small desk in my hotel room. This is one of the least under rated apple products in my opinion.

4. Mydel macrumors 6502a

Mydel

I dont think so. There is nothing they could eventually update right now.

5. ascender macrumors 68020

Gig Ethernet was added fairly recently, so I guess there's not much more they can add.

BTW, what standalone ADSL modem would people recommend using with the Airport? I really want to ditch my Netgear but its a combined router/modem so I'd need to get a modem of some sort.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Do you have problem with your netgear? If not, you can still use that as a
    modem / router. Just disable the wireless function to avoid interference.

If it does have problems, ADSL modems usually comes for free.
    You can probably pick one up locally from Craigslist.org

7. ascender macrumors 68020

I was thinking of donating my Netgear to a friend who is abot to sign up for broadband.

Regarding the modem, can it just be a "dumb" device that you plug in like one of the basic, free ADSL modems ISPs usually give out - i.e. does the Extreme have a WAN config page to tell the modem what username and config details to use?

8. DuRui macrumors member

Anybody on the extreme? I'm looking into the Airport express (i like the connection with the speakers Airtunes thing..)
    I'm currently in China ..I don't even have a modem at home internet just comes out the wall and I login using a username / pw.
    So is there a way to set up the extreme or express so that they login with the username / pw? Otherwise they're both pretty much useless for me :(

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I wouldn't buy it until they get the frickin' Leopard issues fixed. It's worthless to me at this point.

10. DuRui macrumors member

I'm sorry I think I missed this?
    What exactly is the problem? Leopard won't recognize the express/extreme?

11. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I'm running leopard and I'm using an airport extreme. I've had zero issues.

What are these supposed issues?

12. timestamp macrumors 6502

1. Can't read setup (turning IPv6 off will fix this, it is still happens sometimes though)
    2. Airdisk won't mount
    3. Airdisk password not accepted even though it is most assuredly correct
    4. Airdisk won't remount after sleep (if it ever mounts)
    5. Some of my partitions don't get mounted, everytime
    6. Printer issues (for me at least)

If you are just running the Airport extreme without attaching a disk or printer, I am sure it works fine for you. However, there are many issues with the features it touts.

13. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I agree. The setup is highly unreliable with either the AirDisk or the printer. When it works, it's great, but all too often it just falls over, and you have to restart it or the computer or the disk or the printer.

14. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I agree with timestamp. Some of the features of the extreme don't work well. Specifically the Airdisk support is very flakey, and the shared printing seems to get hung up once in a while also.

Rebooting the extreme fixes these issues (temporarily for the airdisk), but I expect much better than this from Apple.

I had Airdisk issues with Tiger also, and they all started with a firmware update, so I'm sure Apple can fix this with another update.

I'm at a loss for how it could still be a problem. Does AirDisk work for anyone after their computer goes to sleep?

If you don't need the airdisk support, then the extreme is a very nice router...

15. mrtune macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3B48b Safari/419.3)

I can't comment on the airdisk, but I do use the USB port to share a cannon printer. I do not have any problems printing and neither do any of the PCs on the network. Drivers were a breeze to install via bonjour too. Much easier than I had anticipated. My airport is fully updated and only a week old.

As a recent switcher (as of 2 weeks ago), I was pleasantly suprised how easy it was to learn not only the airport, but my new macbook with leopard. I was able to learn to network it and share files with the rest of the pc's in the house in no time! That was my biggest fear when it came to switching. Competely painless experience. Apple just won over another consumer.

16. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

They're not supposed; they are real.

It doesn't affect printer sharing as much as it does Airport Disk Sharing, Screen Sharing and the mounting of remote volumes. It will work fine for a few days or more, then you have to shut everything down. A soft reset of the AEBSn doesn't fix it.

It's great when it works. I was at the in-laws over the Christmas break. I could print to his Epson printer from my MBP, but he could only print to it from the PC that was connected to it. None of his other PCs (a desktop and a laptop) could print to it. Scored serious points for Apple.