Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Mr.PS, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

I'm in the market for a new router. I currently use a Linksys/Cisco RV082. It's 5 years old, works fairly well, but I need wireless and WPA2. I've thought about getting a Cisco C871W or C1811W, but I'd have to learn a bit of IOS, plus the routers are all close to $1k so the Airport looks like a nice product.

Does the Airport extreme have good range? I have a 3 story 5,000 sq/ft house, the airport would be in the basement, would it cover all the rooms? If not, is there a way to mount an external antenna to it? Does the airport have SPI?

Any feedback or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. physicsdude1 macrumors member

Since this is a questions-about-airport-extreme thread, I'll add mine:

I am in the market for a wireless router as well, but I can do with my current one if I have to. Does anyone know if the airport extreme will be updated at MacWorld this year? Or what the product cycle is like for the airport extreme, the last version came out in 2006, no?

Thanks!

3. Claytoniss macrumors regular

Claytoniss

you could ad an airport express with airtunes, it extends the range of the Airport Extreme. Although I just have the express through my place for mostly airtunes.

Thats all I got...

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It was just updated the 9th from what I know - so most likely.

Anyone else with an Airport extreme? Please chime in!

5. physicsdude1 macrumors member

By the 9th, you mean Jan 9th 2007, right? :)

6. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I believe there was a new one released on the 6th of 2008, no? Sorry, the 9th was a typo.

7. physicsdude1 macrumors member

Hi Mr.PS. Any chance you have a link, I can't seem to find a release date.
    Thanks!

8. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I looked wrong, it was Jan 6th 2007.

Has anyone modded their Airport extreme?

http://www.quickertek.com/products/80211N_upgrade_BS.php

^ That looks like a good mod.

9. macleod199 macrumors 6502

I doubt it. I am hoping for a firmware upgrade, though, to address some of the bugs in the last one (i.e. NAT-PMP not working). Also, I would like to see it officially support Time Machine (I've got it hacked so it will accept backups, but doesn't work for restores). Apparently this would require changing the way the router reports successful writes, so it would need new firmware.

10. reddrag0n macrumors 6502

reddrag0n

I think i can answer this one. Though the post might be old, this is my 2 cents.

I have an Airport Extreme UFO white G model and that is hooked up into an 8 port D-Link switch. Runs fine with a PC, an MDD and an ethernet printer. All work properly and coexist together with no issues. As for the wireless, i don't have a laptop to use the wireless capabilities yet.