Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Nitro1, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Nitro1 macrumors 6502

I have a airport extreme and i want to hook a external hard drive into it and i am wondering if it is possible to get a Firewire port plugged into one of the ethernet ports. Is this possible and if so will it transmit data at the firewire speed. If not i can just hook it up to the USB, but i would like the faster speeds.

Thanks.

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Nope, not possible. Sorry! You can only use the USB port to connect an external drive.

Well, except for ethernet-equipped network drives, of course. ;)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The specification for IEEE 1394 does allow for firewire to be transmitted over Ethernet, but it doesn't allow for an Ethernet adapter to be used as a FW interface (in other words, you can do it one way, but not the other).

Also, if you have 10/100Mbit ethernet, you will not get FW400/800 speeds out of it.

I think the safest way is to use the USB port, or get an ethernet capable HDD.

4. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

If u want fast then get an external drive with Gigabit Ethernet port. Otherwise settle for USB.

5. Nitro1 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks

Here is what i want to do. I want to load all my movies on to my external hard drive and hook it up to my Airport Extreme. After i hook this all up i would like to be able to play the movies on the external hard drive on my computer using front row. I know this can be done if the movies are in my "movie folder" but i would like it if i could do it without having to put the movie on my computer each time and then remove it to save HD space.

So if i can find the right software to this i think i have found a good HD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822165156

So i would hook this to the Airport Extreme and then stream my movies to my laptop then into my TV.

How does this look.

Thanks for hte help thus far.

6. stofferdk macrumors regular

dont go there friend - the codecs and everything... its just not as sexy as you think. I tried, trust me ;) Now I use my mac mini and apple tv for music only- thats sexy.

Go get a PS3 and MediaLink software for your mac... now THATs sexy, and it works brilliantly.

7. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

There is no need to actually copy the movies to the "Movie" folder for Front Row, or to buy additional software. I have a regular USB drive attached to my Airport Extreme, and created a symbolic link from my "Movie" folder to the Airport drive. Everything shows up fine in Front Row, and no playback issues at all.

If all you're going to do is to store movie files on it and play them back through a computer, the Airport Extreme with an USB drive should work just fine. Provided you already got the Extreme, it'll be extremely cheap as well.