Airport for file transfer over gigabit

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drew.bowser, May 2, 2011.

1. drew.bowser macrumors regular

I bought a new airport extreme. The plan is - I want to use the airport extremem base stateion to create a wired gigabit network for the computers in my office. Now here is the thing. I do not want this network to connect to the internet. I want to be able to connect to a wireless network through airport that has nothing to do with the base station.

Is there a way to do this?

So to sum it up. Netowrk 2 macs with the extreme base station while using airport to connect to a public wifi connection.

2. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Could you not directly connect the two Mac's together with ethernet and then have them use their own Airport cards to connect to a different network? I'm not 100% sure if that would work, but seems like it could. When I need to transfer files to my wife's laptop I often plug it into my Mac Pro via ethernet and transfer the files. Meanwhile, I am still browsing the web on my Mac Pro via our WiFi network. The only difference there is that I'm sharing my internet from Airport to the laptop via ethernet, so I'm not sure if the laptop would still be able to use WiFi separately from the wired connection.

3. drew.bowser thread starter macrumors regular

Yes

Yes I could, however when I bring in an extra mac, I will need to network 3 plus macs...I forgot to put that.

I just went ahead and ran cat6 throught he wall and bought a switch. Ill host the router in the other room and connect it to a switch where I will then connect my machines.

4. KD7IWP macrumors 6502a

KD7IWP

Ah yes, adding another Mac later will definitely not work under my suggestion. Buying a simple switch makes sense here for sure.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Using an AEBS is way overkill for what you are asking to do. Just get a decent gigabit ethernet switch.

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

Yep. I have This one to serve up the network connections for all my home theatre devices behind the TV. Quite fast, no setup, and saves power by scaling output according to cable length.