Airport forgets settings - wont connect

Discussion in 'macOS' started by otispunkmeyer, Mar 4, 2008.

1. otispunkmeyer macrumors 6502

the other day i used my macbook pro on campus at university and was connected to their wifi network.

i was there for the whole day nearly so was connect for quite some time

on my arrival back home, airport then refused to play nice with my home internet and has done ever since.

the network utility says that Airport and Airport settings are fine, Network settings have the amber light and then everything after that is red.

i have no idea how to correct this, i have reset the router, restarted my mac, plugged my mac in via ethernet (which usually rectifies this problem because its happened before), literally everything i know how to do i have done and nothing works

it connects just fine to every other network i have encountered though. it just wont connect to my home one, despite working fine (98% of the time) since october.

2. mmcxiiad macrumors 6502

try removing your airport info from system preferences and the keychain. then try reconnecting.

Do this while your airport is off:

sysPref's (10.5): network - airport - advanced - airport tab - click your network name and then click the minus button on the bottom. (this removes memory being connected to network from this computer)

keychain: search for you network name, delete keys (they should be called airport keys). Be careful not to accidently delete other things. You should have to authenticate to do this. (this removes the saved wpa or wep key of a network from your keychain).

After doing both of those steps, turn airport on and try to reconnect. If you still can not connect, i would verify that the airport is working from another laptop. It may just be a coincidence that the wireless stopped working on the router at the same time that you were surfing at school.

3. callmemike20 macrumors 6502a

callmemike20

This happens to me as well. I use a wired connection with my MBP in my dorm at wireless around campus. I have the password and SSID saved to auto connect when available. Yet, most of the time it doesn't connect and I have to manually type it in.