AirPort Gigabit Ethernet: Improved since late 2009?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by phositadc, Jun 2, 2014.

1. phositadc macrumors 6502

I bought a Time Capsule in late 2009 (not sure if I have the 2nd gen, released July 30, 2009, or the 3rd gen, released October 20, 2009). According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPort_Time_Capsule), it has Gigabit Ethernet.

I use wired Ethernet connections almost exclusively and barely use the wifi capability of my Time Capsule. For wired Ethernet connections, would I be seeing much of an upgrade to go from my 2009 Time Capsule to a current-generation Time Capsule? I obviously know that the wifi capabilities have substantially improved, but I'm specifically concerned with the wired Ethernet connections.

My 2009 and the current generation both simply use GigE. So for wired connections, will my old one be essentially just as fast as the new ones? Or is there more going on under the hood than just being GigE or not?

Any advice appreciated.

Edit: One other question. Anybody know if both the 2009 and the current-gen are SATA II? Or has the current-gen been updated to SATA III?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

You may notice slight improvement in wired client performance. Even if it is SATA I the internal disk is slowed by the controller inside the Time Capsule. While a current TC is faster than a 2009 model, it is nowhere near the theoretical limits of a SATA II controller!

3. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

I dont think that even matters as the wired connection would cap out at a lower rate than what even Sata II can provide.

If you are looking for a faster means of backup your best bet would be usb 3.0 or thunderbolt at this time.

4. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01

I have the new Time Capsule, and this is what the BlackMagic disk test reports with a wired gigabit ethernet connection. As others have said, there is some kind of disk bottleneck since this doesn't approach the speed that ethernet can deliver.

You could try running the same test with your older device and see how it compares.

[​IMG]

5. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I've run that test on mine. It's been awhile but I think my results were closer to 40/40, so yours is faster... Though maybe not so much to warrant buying a new device. I guess if I really want speed I should get a diskless NAS and drop an ssd in it.

6. Kashsystems macrumors 6502

You are going to cap out at about 100 MB/s on anything running on a gigabit network. Dropping in a SSD is not going to help.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-charts/view

7. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

AirPort Gigabit Ethernet: Improved since late 2009?

Latency. Ever wonder why it takes several seconds to access your network storage? Takes a long time to for the disk to speed up. Not so for SSD. You are of course correct about transfer speed though, and depending on usage, latency may not matter to most people. But for me a low latency network drive is quite a nice improvement over an hdd, transfer speeds aside.

Edit: oh and I can understand your answer is responsive to my other post, and in that context your answer is spot on. It was not clear from my post that I view other things beyond data transfer speed as important too.

8. shinegotitwe macrumors newbie

good, I guess if I really want speed I should get a diskless NAS and drop an ssd in it too,thanks[​IMG]

9. phositadc thread starter macrumors 6502

If you actually use the stuff stored on it semi-regularly, then the SSD has the benefit of low latency, so it is snappy almost like you are opening files off of your own local disk. If all you use it for is backing up once a day or once a week (or whatever) using something like time capsule, and you rarely read the data from it, then I agree with the above poster that SSD doesn't add much benefit.

Of course, I also like the reduced heat and noise of the SSD.

Edit: here's an article discussing some of the benefits of SSD in a NAS: http://www.tweaktown.com/blogs/Tyle...-ssd-performance-in-nas-appliances/index.html.

10. Boyd01 macrumors 68040

Boyd01