Airport hardware - getting cable and netstream to upstairs time capsule

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by TheChinski, Jul 30, 2010.

1. TheChinski macrumors newbie

Guys - I currently have my cable modem downstairs and my time machine upstairs, with a power-over-ethernet setup taking the incoming signal from my cable modem up to my time capsule for wifi distribution around the house.

But, I want to introduce a eyetv netstream dtt which connects to the incoming freeview tv signal in yet another downstairs room and needs connecting to the time-capsule also.

So I have some choices as follows:
    1. buy an airport extreme for downstairs and plug the netstream ethernet into it;
    2. buy an airport extreme and plug my cable modem into it and use the power-over-ethernet to take the netstream signal upstairs;
    3. buy a second (cheaper than airport extreme) power-over-ethernet device to take the netstream signal upstairs to the time capsule for wifi distribution.

Benefits of airport extreme approach will be better coverage in the odd dark spot around the house.

Anyone got any advice about my logic or which choice I should make? The netstream requires 802.11n and if I want to use it to distribute via wifi to TWO systems (I don't want to be bringing ethernet back downstairs again), does this make a difference?

Many thanks,
    Chinski

2. BiggAW macrumors 68020

You mean Powerline newtorking, not PoE right? PoE is using two pairs of ethernet to provide power to a device that has an Ethernet cable, but no power supply.

I don't think you can have two separate networks running on the same power system, and you'd need two powerline adapters anyways.

I'd get a Dlink or Netgear router, and then an additional powerline adapter and have each location on the LAN side of the network through Powerline. I am assuming you are using one of the newer Powerline standards? The older ones would not be able to keep up with the data rate of HD video, although I'm not sure what it is, since you're in the UK.

3. TheChinski thread starter macrumors newbie

Oops, yea, I should have said ethernet-over-power and not the other way around (sorry).

The netstream won't serve freeview HD in the UK (how stupid is that?!) so the bandwidth may not be such an issue. I have older style ethernet over power I think.

I've seen a latest model airport extreme base station going cheap on eBay so i think I'll snap that up and see how I go - can always sell it for the same after.

meanwhile, I'll leave the cable modem over the power supply...

Many thanks,
    Chinski