Airport HDD set up

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by airplanes18, Sep 7, 2009.

1. airplanes18 macrumors newbie

i am sick of no one giving answers and failed google attempts. EVERY ONE ELSE IN THE WORLD seems to know how to set up a mac airport to share a hard drive. it isnt worth my time to screw around with more worthless mac crap but here i am seething in rage. i need the exact setup instructions. the ones in the manual arent helping. step by step if u can.

im trying to share a 1.5 tb hdd on an airport extreme. please give me some credible and useful help, not some moderator crap and not obvious stuff that makes yourself look retarded. im sick of it all. this is the 4th forum ive posted in so im not in the mood and my patience is zilch.

REMEMBER, USEFUL INFO OR QUESTIONS ONLY. i dont need some crap or worthless blackberry emails for replies of useless intent. thanks in advance and sorry for the wasted server space

2. SqB macrumors 6502

Well, first let me say that you've come to a different place now. The folks around here are usually pretty helpful, but taking a tone like that on your first post is probably not going to help. Most places a post like that would at least start a flame war, at worst get you banned.

Now, there is some information that is necessary to know about what you're trying to do to determine what steps you should take.

1. If you're just looking to share the contents of the drive, you can hook it up and go into the airport utility program under disks. There you should see the drive information. Then you would click on "file sharing" and enable file sharing. There's some additional fields there if you want to password protect or have it show up as a windows share. That is pretty much it for sharing.

2. If you're trying to set it up for time machine backups, that's a bit more complicated. It's not an "officially" supported function so it isn't automatic or even necessarily easy. You will need to connect the hdd directly to the computer and format it in mac os extended journaled and then set up time machine to back up to it. you will need to complete a time machine backup with it connected directly to the computer and then you can plug it into the extreme. Once it's there, navigate to the disk through finder and then you should be able to set it as your backup drive in time machine.

Those are some pretty vague and short instructions so please respond with any additional information about where the process is not working and I can help with more specific information.

3. airplanes18 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks! i did the sharing, i made some accounts, it doent show up anywhere. we own 3 PCs, one mac, and one Workstation. im worried about the PCs and Mac.

4. SqB macrumors 6502

You might want to check to see if firewall settings are getting in the way. The easiest way to do this is to temporarily turn off the firewall on the computer and then check to see if you can see the drive. If that works, then you just need to set up the firewall to allow the file sharing. It has been awhile since I've messed with this on a PC so I won't pretend to tell you how to fix it on them, but on the Mac the settings are in System Preferences/Security/Firewall.

I know for a fact if you have the Mac set to "block all", it will block the file sharing by default.

5. airplanes18 thread starter macrumors newbie

okay well i checked the drive and it turns out it has a preliminary installer utility that i never saw on either the Mac or Workstation. im checking to see if (with the program off) it will work.

6. airplanes18 thread starter macrumors newbie

however u can tell me what bonjour is and why the airport says it can use it to share the HDD and bonjour is only for printers. clarify all please