Airport Help Needed with BT Home Hub

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by totolad, Apr 30, 2007.

1. totolad macrumors member

Well this problem is only really useful to UK users using BT. They supply you with a WIFI box and a router that connects to the internet. My problem is that, I want to connect the airport to the BT HomeHub, via cable, which works fine. However when I come to connect to the internet wirelessly, through the Airport, it won't connect and the light on the fornt of the box won't go steady green. When I connect to the BT Wireless network directly, it works fine. Is t because they are conflicting etc?

The reason why I am doing this is, cos I want ti wireless print through the airport, and be able to connect to the internet without having to change the SSID to the BT Home Hub.

Any help would be welcome,

Cheers!

2. djbahdow01 macrumors 6502a

From how it sounds you need to turn off DHCP on the Airport and use it as an Access Point instead of a router. Don't really know how to do it on the Airport but I'm sure its similar to doing it with the Airport Express. Look it up in Apple support. It will basically resend what the BT Hub does. And you should be able to connect to Airport and be able to go online. After that you could probably turn off the wireless signal on the BT hub and just jump off the Airport as well as securing your internet and not have to worry about other people jumping off the BT Hub.

3. iBecks macrumors 6502

Its fairly straight forward to connect with airport to a BT home Hub.

First you will need the WEP key from off the back of the hub, make sure you use the correct one for your service, as there are 2 listed.

Then click on the airport symbol in the title bar and you should see the BT home hub listed, click on that and then enter the correct WEP key, ensure that you prefix this WEP key with a $ symbol, then click connect and away you go.

4. totolad thread starter macrumors member

5. iBecks macrumors 6502

If you are connecting via ethernet cable then you do not need to enter the WEP key.

Yes I have connected my MBP to a BT Homehub and many other types of wireless router.

6. totolad thread starter macrumors member

I think that you might have misunderstood me, or I am not explaining it correctly. (Probably the case)

my iMac and my MBP both connect perfectly to the internet via the BT Hub and they also connect to the Airport Extreme base station. the problem is that the two macs don't connect to the internet through the Airport Extreme.

For example.

iMac to Airport extreme to the BT Router to the internet. I just want to use the BT Hub as a ADSL Modem and then have my wireless network work through the airport, however it would appear that there is a problem with the airport connecting to the internet through the BT hub