Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greggy245

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
Ok here is my problem...

I have a PowerBook G4 with an AirPort Wireless card. I am a college student who can access the internet from my dorm room fine with my ethernet connection. At home, we have a Comcast Cable modem, and a Linksys WRT54G router. We have two desktop PCs running through it fine. I am able to connect via an ethernet cable at home to the router fine. However, my problem lies in trying to connect through my AirPort wireless. I tried to go online and view my routers settings at its IP address, and on both my laptop and my desktop computers I cannot connect to my router by putting its IP address in the web browser. Any suggestions and/or directions as to helping me fix this? About two months ago, I had my airport wireless working (I got it running by accident actually, and I have no idea how I did it...) but recently I had to re-install Mac OS X, and I lost all my settings. Thanks for any help!!!

mrichmon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2003
greggy245 said:
Ok here is my problem...

I have a PowerBook G4 with an AirPort Wireless card. I am a college student who can access the internet from my dorm room fine with my ethernet connection. At home, we have a Comcast Cable modem, and a Linksys WRT54G router. We have two desktop PCs running through it fine. I am able to connect via an ethernet cable at home to the router fine. However, my problem lies in trying to connect through my AirPort wireless. I tried to go online and view my routers settings at its IP address, and on both my laptop and my desktop computers I cannot connect to my router by putting its IP address in the web browser. Any suggestions and/or directions as to helping me fix this? About two months ago, I had my airport wireless working (I got it running by accident actually, and I have no idea how I did it...) but recently I had to re-install Mac OS X, and I lost all my settings. Thanks for any help!!!

Open your applications folder, open the utilities folder then run the "Airport Setup Assistant".

cgingrich

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2005
It's quite possible that you have some type of encryption on your home network. When you try to connect to the network via airport, does it ask for a security key? If so...go into you router settings (http://192.168.1.1/ from one of the computers connected to the router) and get the WPA or WEP key (for mac, try typing a $ sign in front of the key when entering it into airport). If this doesn't work, you may want to try changing the channel of the router (something else might be interfering). Is any other computer connected wirelessly to the router?

Soverc

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
Why ?

If you already have a wireless router why are you setting up an Airport ?

One thing to make sure of is that the network of the WRT54G is different than the network of the airport ,give it 192.168.2.0 where the Linksys is most likely 192.168.1.0.

But again this is 2 wireless networks double natting and if you are going to do this set one access point on a different channel.

Soverc

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2005
lilstewart92 said:
It's his airport card, if I'm not mistaken. ;)

Looks like you are correct and I misread. If that is the case select other in the airport dropdown on the top bar and then select the network name, If there is WEP or WPA it will ask you for password. Also you may want to double check the router from a machine that is connecting fine that the Wireless side is not also locked down due to MAC address's.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
lilstewart92 said:
Is it an Airport B or G? Maybe they got some new hardware your not aware of?

Were there ever Powerbook G4's with Airport but not Airport Extreme? Also networks that run in G-only mode are really, really rare....

EDIT: Sorry, I guess TiBooks do. AlBooks have always been AE, AFAIK. :eek:

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
mkrishnan said:
Were there ever Powerbook G4's with Airport but not Airport Extreme? Also networks that run in G-only mode are really, really rare....
Oh, woops, wasn't thinking :eek:

Not sure what the problem here is :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.