Airport Help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rickvanr, Feb 22, 2009.

1. rickvanr macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I have a PM G5, MBP and iPhone all sharing off an Airport Express. It's worked fine since I bought it a few years ago.

Yesterday I opened up the G5 and blew all the dust out. I've done this several times before, without problems.

I also zapped the PRAM and reset the SMU.

Anyways, so I started up and all is well. Things are going smoothly. I open up a Safari window and the page doesn't load, or takes several minutes to load. Pages still load up quickly on my MBP and iPhone. It's not just the internet that is sluggish. It's very slow moving trying to access files from the G5 over the network on the MBP.

Anyways, I've repaired the permission, reset the the Airport Extreme card and I'm now out of ideas on what to try next.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated

Thanks

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Is the AirPort card properly seated?

Macs do not generally need preventative maintenance. Cleaning out the dust isn't a bad idea, but there's no need to reset the PRAM or SMU or repair permissions unless you are experiencing a problem.

3. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Yes, one of the things I tried to remedy the problem was to take it out and reinsert it.

I was planning on putting a new hard drive in it, wanted a fresh start. Which is why I did the PRAM/ SMU. Repairing the permissions was something I did to see if it'd bring the airport back to full life.

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Fair enough.

Try creating a new user profile on the G5. Is it still slow there?

Also, in what way is it slow? Do you mean that resources take a long time to connect to, or that data transfer rates are slow?

5. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Same performance under a separate user profile

Both. I open up safari, and it says you're not connected to the internet. Internet is working fine on MBP. Goto network diagnosis and it says airport, airport settings are good, network settings is orange and ISP, Internet, and Server are red. However, wait a couple minutes and they all turn green. Internet performance is still dodgy. Try and load a page, and it'll say trying to connect and you have to wait about 10 minutes and you might have a couple graphics loaded but things are lightning fast on the MBP.

So to sum it up, it takes a long time to connect and when it does it's snails pace.

6. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I found this; http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1740966&tstart=0

It sounds like the same problem I'm experiencing, but none of the answers in the thread seem to be a problem to what I'm experiencing.

I'm thinking of getting a PCI wireless card as an easy check on a solution. Is there a list of compatible cards out there anywhere?

Thanks

7. CalPoly10 macrumors regular

Are your DNS server settings properly configured in your network settings?

8. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

I haven't a clue. I didn't change them, and they worked before. Laptop works fine on the same network, as does the iPhone and I've never entered DNS server settings on either of them.

It was working for 10 seconds here or there this afternoon. I tried downloading a trailer off Apple and it was going from full speed (~1MB/Sec) for about 10-20 seconds to dead. I'd reload and it'd hang. I'd wait a while, and try again and it'd still hang and then try again and it'd work. It seemed to be completely random to as when it'd work and when it wouldn't.

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

I'm suspecting DNS issues as well, since speed seems to be unaffected. Can you connect to shared file servers on your other computers without problems?

You could try configuring your computer to use OpenDNS...

10. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

No, trying to connect to other computers is as easy as connecting to the internet. After trying several times for my computer to see the other computer on the network I tried sending a file to the laptop and it hung, then started got about a MB in and hung, then did another .1 MB and then had an error.

DNS is only for internet correct? Or would it affect my home network?

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, DNS is only for connecting to domain names, so even connecting to IP addresses on the internet should be unaffected, and certainly IPs on your local network are independent of any DNS issues.

I'd suggest doing an archive & install, but you wouldn't be able to use the handy "preserve user & network settings" feature, so you'd have to reconfigure/reinstall all of your applications and so forth. If you're willing to go through that process, it may be the easiest way from a troubleshooting standpoint. I don't have any other ideas.

12. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

Thanks for your help. I'll probably just get a ethernet wire and plug it directly into the modem first.

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

14. rickvanr thread starter macrumors 68040

rickvanr

So going to wired, my internet works wonderfully.

I set up my computer to share the internet over Airport. No dice. So something must be wrong with the airport card, or the connections inside.

Thanks for all the help

UPDATE: After about a week it just started to work again, no problems for the last ten months. No clue why

15. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Hmm. Under the Network preference pane, try deleting the AirPort interface (the minus button at the bottom of the list) and making a new one (the +).