Airport implementation of 802.11ac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by mnilan, Jan 25, 2012.

1. mnilan macrumors member

Anyone hear anything about Apple updating the Airports to 802.11ac (much faster than 802.11n)? That would be cool, especially if they pass higher resolution music files, i.e., above 16/44.1...

2. simsaladimbamba

Apple Expected to Adopt 802.11ac 5G Gigabit Wi-Fi This Year

Btw, current 802.11n capable wireless adapters and routers can easily stream uncompressed .wav/.aiff audio files. What do you mean with "higher resolution"?

Audio with 96 kHz, 24 bit resolution and seven channels has a data rate of 16128.00 Kbps, which is roughly 2 MB/s. Even a 802.11g adapter/router can handle that.

3. mnilan thread starter macrumors member

High resolution

simsaladimbamba:
    High resolution files currently go up to 24 bit/192 kHz and even higher resolutions are available although not very many exist yet. My question has to do with the limitation of the iTunes/Airport combination which limits a wireless signal to 16 bit/44.1 kHz. Although there are ways to get around the iTunes side of this constraint, I am not familiar with any way to pass a higher rez music signal through the Airport.... The issue is not the bandwidth of the Airport but the current implementation (as I understand it).

4. simsaladimbamba

Ah, now I understand. Thanks.
    But as you say, you have to get around the iTunes' limitation to have 192 kHz / 24-bit play in it (I assume), it is highly unlikely, they will implement something like this just yet. Apple is making products for consumers now, and most of them don't care about such high quality audio, a 128 Kbps MPE is just fine for many of them

Just out of curiosity, where does one get audio at that resolution, as audio CDs don't come with that and you surely don't get your music (I assume again) from studio masters? SACDs perhaps?

5. mnilan thread starter macrumors member

start with...

simsaladimbamba:
    It does't make sense to me for Apple to pay for broader bandwidth and higher speeds and then ignore the applications that would take advantage of the broader bandwidth and speed. The misuc folks have been trying to get Apple to pay attention but they don't listen very well at all...

Go to <computeraudio.com> and look at the forum on Hi Rez music. Lots of sources. Some controversy too but mainly on the recording industry side, e.g., deliberate deception about the source of a "hi res" file.

Anyway, hi rez music is here and growing rapidly. My question relates to how soon Apple is going to support it through their wireless devices.