Airport in Dorm Room

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by AaronOcean, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaronOcean macrumors member

AaronOcean

I can't get my Airport Express to connect to the internet through the wall ethernet jack. I go on to Safari after I've been connected to the airport, but the loading bar just stalls right after "http://". It just stays there and won't move. I know that it's not a airport problem, because I can print wirelessly from my MacBook just fine.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks!

2. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

adrianblaine

Does your school require you to activate your Mac Address? When I was in school, before I could use the wireless network, I had to login using my school ID and password. I'm assuming they did that to put my Mac Address on the list of those authorized to access the network. You may have to change the address in your Airport to the address of your MacBook. Make sure you aren't going against your school's policy though, I remember people getting in trouble for using wireless routers in their dorm rooms (because then others can have access through your router).

3. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

so youll be connecting to the Uni's net (or whereva u are) via the ethernet?? in that case you would have to find out:
    1. the address of the schools modem and put that into your DNS servers.
    2. (i think) turn on DHCP on your APEX.

4. Quboid macrumors 6502

Is it only safari that is won't load or are you off the net period. check your Aiport Ip adress and see if it is self assigned (I got that message a few times).

5. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

like he said it could be a mac address thing. Also chances are really good that it is against your school policy to allow routers much less wireless routers in a dorm room.

At my college they did not like people using a router because they could not trace what computer stuff was going to (not a big deal over all). Wireless networks where against the rules. It did not matter if you made it secure or not. If they found out you where running a wireless network they would shut down the port it was connected to. The only wireless network allowed on campus is the schools. Oh the real catch is they did at times go though the dorms hallways looking for wireless networks.

Now I did run a wireless router in my dorm room while I lived there. It was lock down and only I was using it. I used it so I could print from my laptop and surf the web from my laptop. My desktop was the computer that handled most of the stuff.

6. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thats very sneaky and against the rules!!! very smart thinking though :) ill do that wen i go to uni or wherever.

7. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

lol that was one of the more minor rules and got away with I broke while living on campus.

8. rev316 macrumors regular

Should work. What I had to do: Turn off DHCP addressing (called bridge mode in recently util). Register your computer via MAC.... good to go.

9. AaronOcean thread starter macrumors member

AaronOcean

Could you please give me the steps to doing that? I'm a little lost.

10. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Why don't you contact your university's computer help desk? I'm sure they have experience doing this if it's allowed under their computer policies.

11. AaronOcean thread starter macrumors member

AaronOcean

12. kuebby macrumors 68000

kuebby

Then they may well be blocking use of routers. I'm not sure how it's done but apparently it's possible.

13. AaronOcean thread starter macrumors member

AaronOcean

But it was working until this morning.

And even when I set it up for the first time, it didnt work, but it somehow magically worked.

14. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Then if it's not allowed, we can't allow you to receive help here on how to circumvent university policies...sorry.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.