Airport instability on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Spanky Deluxe, Jul 14, 2007.

1. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I purchased the AE card for the Mac Pro a few days ago. I installed it (with the wires connected correctly) and it worked fine for a few days. Then it suddenly lost its wireless connection and clicking on the wireless icon, which now has an up arrow in it, it says "No network selected" with a tick next to it. It previously had full or nearly full reception and my iBook picks up full reception right next to it.
    If I click "Turn AirPort Off", it does nothing, it still says its on but then going to the network control panel, it says Airport is currently off. I can manually disable and re-enable Airport by going to the Network Port Configurations tab and dechecking, applying and rechecking the AirPort check box and then clicking turn Airport on in the status bar. It then can't find any networks. Telling it to manually connect to a network by typing in the network name says there was an error joining the airport network bla bla.
    Once when I restarted, I got a kernel panic during start up. After a restart, airport seems to work and connects at full signal to my wireless network, however, it loses its connection after a couple of minutes and displays the little up arrow in the airport icon with "No network selected" checked.

I don't know whether its a faulty Airport chip or whether its due to OS X 10.4.10 which is causing issues in MacBooks and MacBook Pros apparently. I'm pretty sure its the same chip but haven't heard of anyone else with Mac Pros having these issues.

Has anyone else experienced these issues? Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm in the middle of a big project so don't really want to go and do an archive and reinstall malarky in case it is 10.4.10.

Edit: Apparently the up arrow means that Internet sharing is on through my AE card and clicking on the icon does say internet Sharing is on. Its off in my system preferences though and has never been on over the AE port. It doesn't get detected by my iBook either, so the software is lying!!

2. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

EDIT: nevermind, I'll have to see what's going on.

3. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

Some of the earlier MP had their AE & BT wires marked incorrectly - several posters indicated they swapped the wires around and probems went away. Mine works fine and has excellent reception and very stable. 10.4.10 is not an issue for me thus far.

4. Spanky Deluxe thread starter macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

The cables are connected the right way around. I think my AE's fried which sucks. I'll have to take it back next week. :(