Airport internet help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by lason, Mar 7, 2010.

1. lason macrumors newbie

I just bought a new Mac Mini with an Airport Extreme in it. So far I love it except for the internet capabilities. I have two network locations, automatic and manual. When I change from one to another web pages load almost instantaneously but after a minute or two I get:

Safari can’t connect to the server.
    Safari can’t open the page “http://forums.macrumors.com/profile.php?do=dst” because Safari can’t connect to the server “forums.macrumors.com”.

It takes several attempts to reload the page before I get anything recognizable and even then pages don't always load normally. I downloaded Google Chrome to see if there would be any difference but I get the same problem. This issue is keeping me from truly loving my new Mac. The display machine at the store didn't seem to have this problem. Is there any way to just have the internet work like it should? I don't think I should have to switch my network settings just to get a webpage to load. Thanks in advance.

2. burnsmedia macrumors newbie

burnsmedia

Airport Internet Help

Why are you changing locations from Automatic to Manual? It sounds like one of them isn't set up properly, and therefore not connecting all the way to the Internet. You can try using the Network Diagnostics (click "Assist Me' when you're on the Network page of System Preferences) to try to see where the problem lies. Although you may want to stick with the ol' "If it ain't broke" rule, and leave it in Automatic where you say you aren't having trouble.

3. lason thread starter macrumors newbie

I have problems with both. Switching from one to the other will allow pages to load quickly but only for a few minutes, then I can't get Safari or Chrome to load anything without having to retry about a million times.

4. lason thread starter macrumors newbie

nevermind, I plugged in my usb ethernet adapter and things are running much much faster.