AirPort IP addresses

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chainprayer, Jun 13, 2008.

1. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

Currently my airport assigns ip addresses like 10.0.1.2 which can't be accessed remotely. is there a way to get an address that is unique and can be connected to remotely? does it make a difference if i am connected to my college's network?

thanks!

2. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yeah...

You have to know your external ip and forward ports from the external to your internal IP. I would seriously doubt you'd be able to make it work on a college network given most standard IT security would prevent such access.

3. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Oo! I have this problem too! I setup an airport express network for my mom but my dad insisted I turn on the security features, but I can't get screen sharing to work because the sharing system pref pane gives an address like you posted above.

How do I find out the real IP address and do that port forwarding thing?

(the security features enabled are MAC address filtering and WPA2 wireless security)

5. chainprayer thread starter macrumors 6502a

will this allow me to access my computer remotely on devices that do not have hamachix installed? (iphone, windows pcs)

6. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Try http://www.no-ip.com/

7. SVT Amateur macrumors 6502

What are you trying to do? I don't know about college networks but cable companies usually block file sharing and other ports for Windows, but not for Apple (probably because not many people are using Apple products). I have my Time Capsule on my home network setup to be accessed remotely. I can access the files I have stored on Time Capsule and even run Time Machine and backup when I am at work or at school.

The IP address you mentioned must be the IP address for your computer that your AirPort has assigned it. To view your gateway IP address (your public IP address) you can run AirPort Utility, select your AirPort, and click on Manual Setup. At the bottom of the summary screen you should see an IP address which is your public IP address (this is assuming the AirPort is your main router and is not running in bridged mode). Or you can go to www.whatismyipaddress.com and it will give you the same result.

If you are looking to do file sharing and/or screen sharing you will have to setup the device you want to do this for with a manual IP address. You will then have to setup your AirPort to port forward the appropriate port to the appropriate device (AirPort uses NAT-PMP for this).