AirPort Is A Dropout!!!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by John Doe 57, Feb 20, 2008.

1. John Doe 57 macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Yesterday, my Dad bought the new AirPort Extreme Base Station. Ever since since getting it to work around 9PM last night, it will drop out and we are left with no network! It happened once last night, and twice today. And also the reset button does not work! You have to manually unplug the power supply to the AEDB. Once that is done, our network appears but you have to select it. It won't automatically hook you up to it. What is happening here?

2. mrwizardno2 macrumors 6502a

mrwizardno2

That's really strange, I've had zero problems with mine since I got it.

Not that it may have any impact, but what do you have the wireless on it set to? What OS version are you connecting to it with?

3. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

If this is your first network, get a utility like iStumbler to get a read on signal strength, ambient noise, etc. Make sure the cat isn't playing with the microwave, etc.

I assume you've already tried having the base in different locations throughout your house?

4. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

The AEBS is connected to our iMac which is currently running Tiger 10.4.11. I have a MacBook Pro that is currently running Leopard 10.5.2. The "dropout" effects both the iMac and MBP. In fact, it has now dropped out 3 times today. Before, we had the old "UFO AirPort" which worked fine in it's location. That location was replaced with the new AEBS.

5. brad.c macrumors 68020

brad.c

Hmm. Sounds unusual for sure. I still have the original UFO version in use, so your experience is more up-to-date than mine. Have you tried forcing another channel?

6. John Doe 57 thread starter macrumors 65816

John Doe 57

Never Mind! I fixed it. I found the answer on another website. All you have to do it turn on IPv6 and set AirPort to Local Link only. It has worked. All I have to do now is solve the damn USB Hard Drive problem that everyone is having.