Airport Issue After Waking From Sleep (White Unibody MacBook)

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drmike, Dec 4, 2009.

1. drmike macrumors member

Hi all. On my new white unibody MacBook I have an Airport issue that always occurs after I wake the MacBook from sleep. I'm wondering if any of you have a similar issue and/or might not how to solve it.

Basically, when I wake the MacBook from sleep, it connects to my wireless network (and to whichever network I happen to be using at the time). A few seconds later, it will drop the connection, an exclamation mark will appear (!) on top of the Airport icon on the menu bar, and when I click on the icon I see "Alert: No Internet Connection."

Then, if I just sit and wait, eventually Airport will connect to the network. But I have to wait -- selecting the network from the available list or turning Airport off and on doesn't help. And sometimes waiting isn't enough -- I sometimes have to go to "Create Network ..." and start all over to get a connection.

I've upgraded to 10.6.2 and the issue persists. I'd appreciate any help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

The problem might be, that you create a network via the Airport drop down menu, as it creates, and not connects to an already existing network, its own network to which other computers can connect.

[​IMG]

If you have a wireless router at all the places you want to go into the internet, then you have to connect to those networks, but not create your own network.

Maybe deleting the network preferences would help, and after that you just connect to the networks instead of creating your own.

3. drmike thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for replying, spinnerlys. I'm actually not creating a network each time. Airport connects automatically to the networks it already recognizes (such as my home network, the one I use at work, etc.) -- so for a few seconds it seems to work as it should. But, then, the connection drops and I get the Alert: No Internet Connection with the exclamation point.

The reason I sometimes have to select "Create Network" is because on occasion that's the only way I can get Airport to connect after it drops the connection and then gives me the alert. At other times, if I just wait it'll connect automatically again and remain connected. Either way, Airport seems to do this odd connect/drop/alert/connect procedure every time I begin using my computer after it's been asleep.