Airport issue, too many MAC-adresses registered

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RasmusTM, Sep 21, 2014.

1. RasmusTM macrumors newbie

Hi

I was hoping to get some help with my Airport Express.
    Because of my internet provider i am only able to have 2 MAC-adresses connected to the internet at the same time.
    I had another airport a few years ago and had no problems - i could connect as many devices as needed to the wifi created by the airport.
    But after setting up the new airport i am only able to connect 2 computers - therefore i cannot use wifi on my phone at home...
    I'm guessing that the issue is in the setup. Can you tell me how to change the setup so that i just register the MAC-adress of the airport and then connect other devices to the created wifi without having to register the MAC-adress of any device connected to the network?

2. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Make sure the AirPort is in DHCP and NAT mode.

3. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

At the moment it is in bridge mode - is this the reason why i experience this issue? A guy from customer service told me to set it up like this..

I'm able to choose between bridge mode, "share a public IP adress" and "distribute a range of IP adresses". Which one should i choose?
    (furthermore i can choose to connect via PPPOE instead of ethernet)

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes... with it in bridge mode the ISP's device is handing out IP addresses and once two are handed out no more will be issued.

Put it in DHCP like in this screen then restart the modem. Then the modem will only see one IP address (the Airport's) and the Airport will be able to hand out as many IPs as you need.

[​IMG]

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Yes this is the reason. Change it to DHCP.

/Jim

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

What I was typing before my Pro crashed is what Weaselboy said... (Off to Genius Bar Soon)

Ideally, you can get your modem set to Bridge Mode and leave the AirPort as the router. If that is not possible due to your ISP, then you will want to add the AirPort to the DMZ (Demilitarized Zone) as Double NAT configurations sometimes cause applications not to work. You can safely hit ignore in AirPort Utility with the Double NAT warning.

7. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try that and report back with your modem model and ISP.

9. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm still not working..
    When i choose DHCP i am still connected on my pc and i am able to find the network on my iphone but when i choose it on the list it seems like it is trying to connect but no matter how long i let it work it still does not connect.

When i set up the airport as DHCP should i choose to "share a public IP adress" or "distribute a range of IP adresses"?
    And what should i type in when it is asking what the DHCP adresses should start and end with? (as standard it is set to start with 10.0.1.2 and endning with 10.0.1.200)

10. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It should be set to "Share a Public IP Address".

11. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

When a choose to share a public IP adress it asks for NAT standard host (10.0.1.?). Shoud i type in anything here?
    If I click update without typing in anything it says that there has been detected a problem - something aboub double NAT: "This WiFi-base has a privat IP adress on its Ethernet WAN-port. It is connected to an unit or a network which is using NAT to deliver private IP adresses. You should configure your WiFi-base to not use DHCP and NAT to bridge-mode.

Attached Files:

• 1.png
      1.png
      File size:
      22.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.png
      2.png
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
  12. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Double NAT is fine for this. Does it work in this configuration?

13. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

No. With this configuration neither pc or iphone are able to connect.
    If I choose "distribute a range of IP adresses" it is working on my pc, I am also able to find and connect to the network on my iPhone but it is not working.

14. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try setting this up using the mobile AirPort Utility on your iPhone. Then just set it to DHCP and NAT mode. Begin by factory resetting the AirPort and reconfiguring it with your phone.

15. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

I have tried to reset the Airport and reconfigure as DHCP and NAT with the iPhone utility. It connects to the network but there is no ethernet connection.

Attached Files:

16. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

What is the make & model of your ISP provided Router?

17. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try rebooting the ISP provided modem to get it to relink with the AirPort.

18. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

There is no ISP provided modem. The ethernet cable is just going from the "hole" in the wall into the Airport. This was working fine with another Airport Express a few years ago.

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Are you using DHCP or PPPoE to connect from the port in the wall?

20. andrewket macrumors regular

What type of Internet service do you have? It sounds like you have an Ethernet hand-off and that you are behind a gateway that is using RFC1918 space and providing NAT. That's unusual. Are you in a high density apartment building? Is your service provided by the building?

21. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not know which type of internet service it is. It is the same provider for all apartments in the residential.
    I just plug in the ethernet cable from the wall into the Airport.

22. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Under the Internet tab in AirPort Utility does it list DHCP?

23. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

Right now it is in bridge-mode so DHCP is not listed.
    If i change to ""share a public IP adress" or "distribute a range of IP adresses" it is listed. In public IP-mode NAT is listed also.

Attached Files:

• 1.PNG
      1.PNG
      File size:
      32.3 KB
      Views:
    • 2.PNG
      2.PNG
      File size:
      39.6 KB
      Views:
    • 3.PNG
      3.PNG
      File size:
      34.3 KB
      Views:
  24. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

This should work with DHCP on in the Airport and set to distribute a range of address like the default setting.

I am wondering if the Airport and the building router are using the same range of local IPs.

Try this. Disconnect the Airport and plug your PC ethernet directly into the data jack in the wall and restart the PC. Then tell us what local IP address it uses?

It will be something like 10.0.1--- or 192.168--- or 172.15---.

25. RasmusTM thread starter macrumors newbie

When it is connected to the Airport it says that the IP adress is 91.100.21.42.

When i unplug the Airport and connect by putting the cable directly from the wall and into the computer is says 91.100.21.48.