Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
recently i bought an old airport card from 1999. i know it supports only wap 11 b and tkip. so i configured router to wap 11b tkip, but the airport wont connect. any help?
thx in advance

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
If I remember correctly, I could only use WEP with that type of AirPort card. I had always used TKIP at home and after 2 macs with this card (iBook G3 & iMac G4) I had to go a few steps down to WEP. As soon as I sold both of them and was in my G5 era of Macs, the AirPort Extreme has no issues with WPA2-PSK.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The older Airport cards will use WPA with TKIP. But you have to either be on Leopard or apply one of the latest Airport updates. I can't remember if that update is for 10.3.9 or 10.4.11 though.

I know this is the case though because my son's Mac is the only one on my home network with the old Airport card and we use WPA with TKIP because that's the best his Mac can get.

OpTic Jayex

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2013
Broken Arrow
Are you looking for a new Airport Card? I connected an ethernet cable from my mom's Powermac G5 to our Airport Extreme. Alot faster internet!!

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
well thx for the anwers guys :) well i use the airport cuz i dont want to have a lot of wires around. my os is osx leopard and i have the airport software in 5.6. but its a airport cars not a base station. i heard i can connect to wap with ask but only in tkip and 11b. i configured the router that way but i cant connect either invalid password ( but its right) or connection timed out

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You want WPA-Personal with TKIP, no AES.

Further, your router needs to be set for mixed mode. I know you said you set it that way, but I'm just trying to clarify.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Also, some routers don't play nice with the Airport B card if set to B/G/N mode on the 2.4Ghz band. If your router is set for that, try turning off N mode support.

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
well its set to 11 B mode. and tkip. how to i turn off mixed mode?

----------

Also, some routers don't play nice with the Airport B card if set to B/G/N mode on the 2.4Ghz band. If your router is set for that, try turning off N mode support.

I can use Bg mode?

----------

well here are my configs. 11b only mode. 11mbps ssid broadcast wpa psk tkip
mac filter off WMM on wps off

mindingulove

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 18, 2013
B/G mode should work fine without any problems.
so i changed to 11bg channel is auto 54 mobs it gives me invalid password
but the password is right. changed it to 12345678 still gives me invalid password.

this thing is very confusing =\
saw in other forums, ppl are having the same prob with airport 1999. but im using leopard not mac os 9 it should connect to wap psk. am i missing smth?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.