Airport Issues 10.5.7

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lexus, Jul 9, 2009.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

lexus

Suddenly last night my internet connection dropped for about twenty minutes and then started to work again for no apparent reason. It did this a couple more times and continued to do so this morning and is currently refusing to work at all. The computer is connected to the wireless network. I am currently using it with a network cable plugged in. The strange thing is that on a computer running 10.5.6 it works perfectly.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've not seen this particular issue before - however I can offer some general troubleshooting steps to try.
    1. Turn AirPort off then back on (this cures a surprising number of connectivity issues)
    2. Verify that the settings in System Preferences are correct for Networking - i.e. is AirPort preferred over Ethernet and stuff like that
    3. Experiment with the broadcast channel setting in AirPort Utility - changing this can resolve connectivity problems

3. lexus thread starter macrumors 68000

lexus

1. Tried it, didnt work.

2. Checked it.

3. I have never had an issue with it before, do you think I should change it?

4. IBradMac macrumors 68000

IBradMac

I had nearly the same thing happen to me on my MBP. Airport just decided, out of the blue to stop working. I called Apple, sent the machine back and they fixed it. (this was a refurb).

5. MacLovin78 macrumors regular

3. Because there are only so many wireless channels to go around and wireless devices usually default to the same channel. Someone in your neighborhood/building could have flipped on their router or changed their channel to the same as yours which causes interference and drops. In my building alone, there are 14 different wireless networks. If I don't change my channel to something other than the default I get drops. It's an easy change and may be a simple fix.