airport issues, strange...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bozz2006, Jul 31, 2009.

1. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I have begun experiencing weird airport issues this morning. It doesn't disconnect, but the transmission has gotten terribly spotty. using istat, i can see that the transmission will stick at 0kb/s, then spike to 100-130 for a moment, then cut back down to 0. I get the same issue while using firefox, and same trying to browse itunes store. strangely enough, using internet explorer via Parallels works just fine. strange.

I have unplugged and reset my D-link DIR-625 router, and the actiontec DSL modem. no luck. i have cleared the cache and reset safari. no luck. this just happened all at once this morning and i can't figure out why. I have the aluminum macbook.

I have a thread on this in the macbook forum too, but since the 13" macbooks are now marketed as macbook pro, i thought I'd post here as well. Thanks.

edit: this message was written with my macbook plugged directly into the modem. also, I have a windows desktop that is working perfectly fine wired to the router. so, it seems that both the router and modem do work.

2. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

3. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

how do i check that? I don't know. If it was open and it is now closed, I don't know how that would have happened.

4. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Open preferences in Transmission and find the setting for the port and see if the light next to it is green.

5. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

do you mean "network settings" in "system preferences"? Yes, everything appears fine there.

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

No, I mean Transmission's preferences. Click into Transmission and hit Command + ,

7. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I'm not familiar with Transmission. Can you tell me where to access it? Thank you.

8. Flipstar macrumors member

He's obviously not using the application Transmission. It was a general network question.

9. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

That's correct.

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I'm fairly sure that the original post asked about that, but as it has been changed, I can't say for sure.

11. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I didn't change anything. I did mention online data transmission, but didn't say anything about an Application called Transmission. Sorry for the confusion. Still no dice, it's very weird. I downloaded an application, and it downloaded at my full speed. seems like the problem persists mainly within web browsers. but as i mentioned, using Parallels and IE, wireless worked fine.

12. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

So you are saying it works perfectly under Parallels, but when you aren't running anything besides a web browser in Mac OSX, the problem appears?

Have you tried an alternate browser?

13. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I've tried firefox and safari. problem persists in both cases. I am in the process of running onyx and have disabled my firewall. will report back. but like i've said, doing a download, it goes full speed, and IE running under Parallels with XP works too.

14. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

hmmmm... more curiosities. it has started to be somewhat reliable, if I only have one window with one tab open. if i have more open, it completely stalls. Because of the fact that it all happened so suddenly, I'm beginning to wonder whether the part of the router that controls/transmits wireless info has begun to die. The box does seem unusually warm... Any thoughts? I am less than proficient when it comes to the nuts and bolts of wireless routers, but this all seems very strange. It's like it can't handle the I/O like it ought to be able to.

15. bozz2006 thread starter macrumors 68030

bozz2006

well. further testing... the wireless internet works perfectly well with Internet Explorer on windows XP running under Parallels. Makes no sense. Why would it work with this and be so unstable with Firefox and Safari using OSX?