Airport issues with Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by AJ Muni, Oct 26, 2007.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

I installed leopard on my mbp a couple of days ago (gold master, duh) and for some reason the airport keeps dropping my current connection. Not just my connection, but also when I jump on my neighbors connection. The airport connection completely loses all the signal bars, but then in about 6-8 seconds they light back up, and I get online again. Also when I click the airport icon on the menu bar, it only shows the connection i'm currently on, no other networks around me. Again it's weird because say I jump on my neighbors, when I click the airport icon I dont even see my routers ssid on there, and my router is 3 feet from me. It's also happening on my gf's macbook, so I'm sure it's not my antenna. I've treid repairing permissions, all that good stuff and no dice. Anyone else having this issue?

2. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Running Leopard on two machines / two airport networks. Been 100% here...

3. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Yeah, my issue with Airport + Leopard is that whenever I restart my MBP, it simply won't reconnect to my home network automatically; I have to select it every time I boot up. Kind of annoying.

4. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

My airport connection keeps dropping out (both the ap connection to the network and the networks connection to the internet). I have to turn ap off and then on again to get a connection back. Wicked annoying.

5. Mpalmieri809 macrumors newbie

Mpalmieri809

I'm having similar issues....I also notice that airport disk utility is gone....The airdisk has worked 100% since my install yesterday....I kept having disconnects all the time since the last firmware..

6. goofymatt macrumors newbie

Me Too

I just installed Leopard yesterday (Friday) I have had the same issues, with my airport losing signal about every 5 minutes.

I never had this issue with Tiger, and currently, the only way for me to deal with it is to:

Click the airport icon in the toolbar

turn airport OFF

Turn airport ON

Then it recognizes the signal

Furthermore, forget what I said about every 5 minutes . . . it has now shut off twice as I type this message!

Does anyone know how to resolve this?

7. panzer06 macrumors 68030

panzer06

I had the same issue on my old G4 powerbook when I upgraded to Tiger. A clean install fixed the problem.

Don't know if that's the issue here but it's work a quick SuperDuper clone and fresh install to find out.

Cheers,

8. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

What's weird is that I actually did a clean install (erase and install).

9. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

As I battle through the same problem, I ran the airport utility and updated the firmware on the base stations. I also turned off IPV6, since my system doesn't support it. These two act seems to have settled the problem down to once every half hour or so (or, it's totally unrelated... :eek:).

Next on my list is to repair permissions and keop digging for things to try.

10. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Poo. That was going to be my next move if the permission repair didn't clear things up.....

11. meagain macrumors 68030

OMG - The Firmware upgrade! Doh! I was blaming it on other things (torrents). I started having issues around the time I upgraded. Thanks for posting this.

I had a few blowouts also when transferring large amts of data from the external to the imac after Leopard install. I also show the Extreme under 'Shared' in the finder which never appeared there pre-Leopard. ????

12. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

I did a clean install of 10.5 and it didn't help the intermittent connection.

[Edit: the below mentioned keychain update did the trick!]

13. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I cant see my Airport Extreme Basestations with the admin software...anyone else having this problem with Airport?

14. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

Veritas&Equitas

Well since the Airport software update that Apple just released a few hours ago, I don't seem to be having any of the same problems I was earlier. Keeping my fingers crossed :rolleyes:

15. meagain macrumors 68030

A new update eh? Hmmm.....

aswitcher - I see mine fine. Been running well actually.

16. sblasl macrumors 6502a

sblasl

Apple Login & Keychain Update:
    The Login & Keychain Update 1.0 for Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard is recommended for all Leopard installations. It addresses issues you may encounter when:

Logging in with an account originally created in Mac OS X 10.1 or earlier that has a password of 8 or more characters.
    Connecting to some 802.11b/g wireless networks.
    Changing the password of a FileVault-protected account.

17. rosh325 macrumors regular

To preface, my ability to connect to 3rd party routers during tiger was iffy at best after the 10.4.10 update. Still, I crossed my fingers in the hope that Leopard would fix it.

Enter Leopard: Every time I start my computer, I am greeted by a "none of your preferred networks were found". The network I am trying to connect to is an open network...and it does not show up on the list. I open up iStumbler and I can see my network, the one that the built in wi-fi cannot. I have tried shutting my airport off and on with no luck. My only work around is to find my network in iStumbler, and use it's built in "connect" command. After doing so, I am connected without problem. WTF leopard?

18. ViveLeLivre macrumors regular

ViveLeLivre

For those who can see their wireless network...

...but can't reach the internet after Leopard's Airport firmware update: reset your Airport to factory settings.

Not sure how you do that on the Airport Express, but on the Airport Extreme:

1) Record your Airport configuration if needed.
    2) Unplug the power.
    3) Grab a paperclip and while pressing the reset button down with the paper clip, plug the Airport back in.
    4) When the LED starts flashing release the reset button.
    5) Reconfigure the Airport.

Worked for me and some others on the Apple support forums. Might even fix other odd Airport behavior. Good luck.

(I should add that Airport Utility kept losing the Base station before I did this, and restoring the Extreme to factory defaults fixed this too.)

19. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Airport utility cant see the base station it is actually attaching to to get the net and post this very post - weird.

20. illitrate23 macrumors 6502

illitrate23

although - if my imac can't connect to my airport base station, how can i download the update that might fix this problem :) :)

time to bring the laptop through and set up internet sharing via an ethernet cable i guess... lets see if that solves it....

21. takatalvi macrumors newbie

I installed !0.5 yesterday and ran into the exact same problems with Airport. My solution was to reset my Airport Base Station to Factory and redo my home network and I haven't had any problems since.

22. ndriver182 macrumors 6502a

I'm wary of this update. I did it just before going to bed last night and magically when the computer restarted my Mac Pro all the sudden has "No AirPort card installed" even though it was working fine during the whole time I've been running Leopard and the few months prior to Leopard running 10.4. Somebody else in the Mac Pro section had the same problem and re-installed.

Can you just do an upgrade install of Leopard over the existing Leopard so I don't have to wipe and re-install everything?

23. tonysony macrumors newbie

Easy fix? Could someone try this before doing a reinstall?

I know this may be an unrelated issue but it deals with wireless nonetheless and is a lot less work..

As explained in the thread referred to by the link below.."the issue can be dealt with by finding and removing the AppleAirPort2.kext file from your Extensions folder, located here:

Macintosh HD:System:Library:Extensions"

My friend could not even get his card to be recognized by his Powerbook and after moving/deleting this file, everything came around on the next reboot. Perhaps the connectivity issues are somehow related?

Just a thought.

Tony

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1199706&tstart=0

24. bigbigbob macrumors newbie

DUDE BIG BIG THANK YOU!!!

I was just about to go back and do a clean install on my 24" iMac when I found this on my iPhone! Worked Perfectly! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!! :):):):):):):):)

25. ltud macrumors newbie

I had the same problems with disconnects, it was terrible, I couldn't even stay on long enough to download the updetes. Fortunately they resume, so I finally got them (took half-a-day), and I haven't had any problems since, so I suspect that the keychain update fixed the issue for me.