Airport Issues?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Mr.PS, Feb 12, 2008.

1. Mr.PS macrumors 6502a

First it was video card issues, ok, w/e, I ordered the 8800GT over the Ati since I had problems at first. Now it's Airport issues? All the macbook's and macbook pros seem to randomly disconnect after a while. Is this also true with Mac Pros?

2. kumamusic macrumors newbie

I got the early MAC PROs. And yes, definitely there is issue with the airport. My internet constantly gets cut off (on and off every 5 min).
    The genius bar people seemed to not really know much or what to say. I'm not sure if there's a way to fix it at this point.. maybe needs to do some more research. It's getting a bit frustrating.:(

3. eyecool macrumors regular

Are you guys using 802.11n? What frequency, 2.4 or 5ghz? Other than the microwave oven issue, my signal never drops with the AE at 2.4ghz. As soon as I get my Time Capsule, I'm going to run it at 5ghz for the MP, iMac and mac book in my house and leave the AE at 2.4ghz for the 2 iphones and windows laptop.

4. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

I heard you need to disable IPv6 and it will work. There doesn't seem to be a fix outside of that. :(

5. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you run 10.5.2?

6. eyecool macrumors regular

Yep, 10.5.2 on both macs as of yesterday and no problems. I've been streaming radio all day... even when AFK. Not one dropped signal. I do live in a low population density neighborhood where there isn't a lot of rf interference though. If I lived downtown or in a building, I'm sure it would be a different story.

I have yet to try it on the MP. My Jan order has yet to ship.

P.S., did you already get your MP? I remember when you shipped the old one back.. waited a while, then ordered the 2 cpu!

7. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

nope, I don't have it yet, it shipped, should be here tomorrow!

8. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

i had terrible airport problems - 30 seconds average connection - however i'm pleased to report that 10.5.2 totally fixed this. I've been surfing all day and the connection has been rock solid.

I will try to really stretch it tomorrow, stream some video say and see if it stands up.

But so far so good.

9. Mr.PS thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's so odd how some people have issues, and some don't. It's either a serious hardware inconsistency over at Apple, or just generally different configuration parameters and networking equipment etc..

10. eyecool macrumors regular

The environment has a lot to do with it too. I'm a ham radio operator. Until you see it on a spectrum analyzer, it's hard to imagine just how saturated the spectrum is, especially around the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. If 2.4 is dropping, try 5 or vice versa. 2.4GHz is getting even more polluted with the 100m 2.4GHz bluetooth.

11. kumamusic macrumors newbie

After updating the Leopard to the most current version (10.5.2) there were no more airport problems!! (from logging in and out) ;)

So anyone who has the similar problems with the airport extreme card, try updating your Leopard. Hope this helps to some people here.