Airport keeps disconnecting me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by azscp, Feb 9, 2008.

1. azscp macrumors member

I keep getting disconnected from the internet via my airport extreme. If I restart the machine, it works again, but only for 10-15 minutes and then it searches for a new network.

I can't figure this one out.

I have an intel MBP that connects wirelessly through airport extreme.
    I have an imac that is connected through ethernet.

any suggestions?

thanks

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I assume you're talking about the MBP losing its wireless connection.

I'd try a few things,

is the iMac connected to the LAN out on the airport extreme? Obviously you are not working on both computers at the same time but can you test if the iMac happens to lose its connection also, concurrently with the MBP. i.e., are you losing connection from the AE to the modem, or is the AE imtermittently refusing to broadcast. If the iMac has a wireless card, can you switch the MBP to ethernet and the iMac to wireless and see if the MBP continues to have problems.

Are you running Leopard or Tiger?

Some Leopard users have reported wireless problems, the the cases appear largely machine-specific

3. azscp thread starter macrumors member

Yes, MBP is losing wireless connection.

Yes

The imac doesn't lose connectivity, nor does the modem lose connectivity to the AE. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with the MBP itself. i.e. something is missconfigured.

Tiger

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

go into the airport utility and log in to you AEBS admin account. Check your settings regarding DHCP leasing. I have mine set to the maximum value so that on my laptops, I never have to "renew" my DHCP lease.

perhaps try broadcasting on a specific channel as well, rather than having the AEBS automatically find the clearest channel. this is also set through the airport utility.

I would use the airport utility on the iMac, since you're hard-wired.