Airport Line Update

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by McKodiak, Apr 8, 2015.

1. McKodiak macrumors newbie

McKodiak

I am looking for a new router. I'm not in need of one but am looking for one. I am interested in the Airport Extreme and/or Express for my situation. I know nobody knows Apple's release date for the next devices but I am interested in people's opinions on when they think Apple will release the next versions of the Airport line.

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Couldn't tell you. With that said, the current Airport Extreme's are already running three antenna 802.11AC wifi which is the newest WIFI standard. Even if a new one comes out, it won't have anything better (other than maybe a 4th? antenna?)

Edit: If in the USA, you can get a current gen Airport Extreme from the refurb store for only $130.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FE918LL/A/refurbished-airport-extreme

Now, I wouldn't recommend the Airport Express at this point since it is still "stuck" on 802.11N based wifi.

3. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

The Extreme is decent and if there are any updates this year it will be a minor spec update. I would say that it is a safe buy since it is already a great router. The Express though is a bit weaker, limited to wireless N, and only has 10/100 Ethernet ports. I use the Expresses as APs at school with the Extreme as the main router. The refurbished Extreme deal is pretty good if you ask me.