Airport Location Problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eric/, Nov 4, 2011.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Hello,

I recently relocated across country and moved in with some folks. I have an Airpot Extreme and replaced their old router with my new one. For some reason though, the location of the router is still my old location apparently. For example, my iPad thinks it is still at my old location when I select "current location" in Google Maps and the timezone is at my old location as well.

Any idea?

2. dbrd macrumors newbie

Location data in iOS 3 and earlier comes from Skyhook wireless. Skyhook allows the router location to be manually updated here.

Location data in iOS 4 and iOS 5 use an Apple crowd-sourced database. According to the iOS 5 page, devices will periodically transmit to Apple their location and what networks can be seen.

If I may speculate, I think this means the database will eventually correct itself. As your device and others in the area send updated info to Apple, there will be a mismatch of location. This should point to your router's location being wrong and having it updated. This is only my guess of how their system works. I may be incorrect and have no idea long it would take to update.

Sorry I don't know an exact answer. The last time I updated a router's location was in the iOS 2 days through Skyhook's website. Though I've been curious how it's done now. Perhaps someone with better experience will respond.

3. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Thank you for the response. I am going to attempt to fix it via Skyhook and I'll post if that works.