Airport Lock Icon (?)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBX, Jul 30, 2008.

1. MBX macrumors 65816

Today i set up my internet and accessed my wi-fi network name. There was the lock icon and i typed in my password. Afterwards once i accessed it the lock-icon disappeared.

Does that mean it only disappeared because i typed in my wi-fi password but is actually still locked for everyone else?

2. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

hmmm, very well could be, when you click on the airport icon in the toolbar and the drop down lists with all the detected networks comes up, do you see your network with a lock next to it?

3. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

yes i just said when i selected it for the first time there was a lock next to it and i had to type in my wifi password. however now that i'm on it the lock icon disappeared. i could swear previously (in my old place) the lock icon was still there even when i put in the password.
    but i'm not 100% sure

if anybody could confirm that would be awesome. thanks

4. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

The lock disappeared because the iPhone remembered the password and will give you automatic access. It appears to be new in 2.0.

TEG

5. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Hey we're not in the iphone forums, are we? :) - I'm speaking of being on a mac with leopard. However i guess maybe the mechanisms are the same and so the lock disappears once you access it with your password.

Right?

6. MBX thread starter macrumors 65816

Actually i just tested it on the iphone and the lock icon is still there after i accessed my wifi with the password.

Not so in leopard.

Any idea? I guess i shouldn't be too concerned since it always asked me for password on all the machines and the icon is there too on the iphone.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If my suspicion is correct, your Wi-Fi network has WEP password authentication. If so, the lock icon appears until you log in, then it disappears for you, but not for others who see your network in their list of available networks. To them, it still has a lock and is secure. However, WEP is not as secure as WPA. If you change your network authentication to the WPA protocol (which I would recommend), the lock icon will remain, even if you are logged in.