Airport Menubar Icon Dissapeared!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Heeeat, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Heeeat macrumors newbie

So I changed my menu bar to black and replaced the menu bar icons but now for some reason my airport menu bar icon does not show up anymore. I'm not sure if the aiport.menu was fully copied for it to work since when I tried copying the icons, all of them copied except the airport.menu because I got a message saying "Cannot copy because it is in use". So I deleted the file and copied the new one. So then I check on System Preferences > Network and check where it says "show airport status in menu bar" but it doesn't let me click on apply, it's greyed out. So when i exit System Preferences and go back, it's unchecked again. Any help?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Are you currently connect to a wireless network?

Have you tried to reset System Preferences?

Btw, the APPLY button stays greyed out if you change the setting "Show AirPort status in menu bar", could it be, that the icon is too far on the left and hidden by menu items due to you having menu menu bar icons?

3. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I'm connected wirelessly. I tried resetting the System Preferences, restarted, but still the same problem.

I only have a few icons in my menu bar so the airport icon can't be too far to the left, it just doesn't show up at all. Maybe it has something to do with the airport.menu file?

4. Gregg2 macrumors 603

corrupt Airport plist?

HD/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist

Find that and drag it to the Desktop.
    Restart the computer, I guess. You've got to get it to regenerate a new plist file which will be set to defaults.
    Does that help?

5. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

7. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Navigate to:

/System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras

Drag Airport.menu to the menu bar. What's happens?

8. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried with a different user account but it still didn't show.

Also, when I tried to drag airport.menu file to the menu bar, it looked like if it was going to add it because it showed a small green plus sign so when I let go the left-click nothing happened.

9. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Trash, or move:

~/Library/Preferences/com.apple.systemuiserver.plist

And this one is actually related to your issue, as opposed to the bogus recommendation that you move com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist

NOTE: the ~ refers to your home folder

10. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

I thought it solved the problem when I deleted the systemuiserver.plist file and restarted because some of the menu bar icons that I had were removed, so I went to enable them (i.e. bluetooth, battery) on system preferences and went to try to enable the airport one but that didn't work.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

I guess arrogance doesn't always translate into success.

12. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Please. The plist you recommended the OP remove has absolutely nothing to do with the Airport menulet, nothing at all.

SystemUIServer on the other hand does. The point was, what you recommended had zero chance of helping. Zero. Even though what I suggested did not work, at least it was related.

OP, I will research this a little more when I get the chance. One question though, have you tried to customize your menu items at all?

13. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

I really appreciate your help. I did try to customize my menu bar to black and also replace the menu bar icons that are in the menu extras folder to .menu files that made them white. All of them copied except for Airport.menu because it was "in use". So I tried deleting it with the "secure empty trash" and replaced it. I'm not sure between all of that I did something wrong that could have cause the problem. I followed the instructions carefully though so I'm not sure why it happened.

14. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Sounds like you may have screwed it up, that is why I asked about customization. Your problem isn't something that typically occurs.

You can try pulling the Airport.menu from your Install Disc. I am attaching the Airport.menu from 10.6.4. Drop this one in and give it a shot.

You may want to kill SystemUIServer or a restart will do.

You can kill it in Terminal with:
    Code:
    killall SystemUIServer

Attached Files:

15. Heeeat thread starter macrumors newbie

It finally worked with the file you attached, I just dropped it and restarted and enabled it in system preferences and it finally shows on my menu bar. Thank you so much man!

16. Gregg2 macrumors 603

It's good to have people on the forum with that depth of knowledge. It's even better when that knowledge is presented in a way that is not condescending to others trying to help.

17. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

If you can't offer proper advice don't offer it. It takes just a few seconds to determine whether or not that plist is related. Do your research.

Any condescension on my part comes from seeing folks like yourself misleading people into removing files that have no chance of offering any benefit.

18. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Save it for advice that will do harm if followed.

Edit: No, even then, be polite.

If you want to be helpful, you could explain how that's done.

19. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

You open them up. Of course, I have experience with this. But you don't just spout off a plist because it has the word "airport" in it. The plist you referred to deals with "Airport Utility" an application to configure Apple routers.

If you know that app exists and that most apps have a plist, it is clear that com.apple.airport.airportutility.plist is not related.

This is just by looking at the file name. If you know where menu items live and what their filenames are, looking inside the plist you mentioned it would be apparent that those files are not referenced at all.

This falls under the same mindset that causes people to recommend a permissions repair for something that isn't related to permissions at all.

It doesn't matter if the advice does harm, it is a waste of time when what you are recommending has no relation to the problem.

20. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Ok, I'm going to look past your condescending attitude in an effort to learn something from you. You obviously have lots of knowledge to share. . . . When I double-click on a plist file, I'm getting a TextEdit window that's just black. But, from what you shared, even if I had something to look at, I don't know what to look for.

I do know that the systemuiserver plist file has something to do with the menu bar. That fact slipped my mind in my first reply. I picked up that knowledge by reading in forums. That's a big reason I look in.

I've learned not to recommend permissions repairs willy nilly. Hopefully I'll learn more about plists from this thread. Thomas Edison would disagree that trial and error is a waste of time.

21. lolyq macrumors newbie

Had the same problem and this solved it. Thanks a lot calderone!!. However, I have the same issue with clock. I click in "show date & time in menu bar" on preferences and nothing happens (can't click even as root). Even more, network preferences shows nothing when I select airport. Can all those be related??