Airport mode vs. wifi

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Kosmoss, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Kosmoss macrumors newbie

Hello forum, On my 3GC iphone I find that the wifi is toggled with the airport mode. Is there a way to change this. My preference at home is to have the phone in airport mode (to avoid the constant "searching" and save the battery life) AND on wifi. Out in the world I prefer the wifi OFF and use the cellular network.
    To explain:
    When I leave home (going out into the cellular world and don't need wifi) I toggle the airport to OFF, but if the wifi happens to be OFF it automatically goes to ON. So what I do is go back to the wifi page and disconnect it. This is the step I would like to eliminate.
    Thanks in advance!
    K
    btw, I regularly upgrade through itunes with Apples recommendations

2. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

To avoid confusion, I think you mean "Airplane mode", not AirPort mode. AirPort is Apple's old name for wifi.

3. aristobrat macrumors G5

There's probably a jailbreak app that can help with that, but stock, I don't know of one.

I leave my wifi on 24x7 (with the option to search for available networks disabled) and haven't noticed any negative impact on my battery life.

4. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

Not having the wifi turn off in Airplane mode would totally negate the point of Airplane mode. Airplane mode turns off all radios, so as to comply with aviation rules on certain (most) airlines.

Having it not turn off would be like having a light switch that doesn't turn the light off...

5. Kosmoss thread starter macrumors newbie

yes,, thanks Hell diver, it is airplane mode, now I remember the old airport wifi designation.
    And I understand the need to close all radios on an airplane, that makes sense too.
    Thanks to all who considered my question.
    K