Airport network frustrations

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by johnnymac101, Oct 26, 2009.

1. johnnymac101 macrumors newbie

Ok, so it might be my fault on this. I grew up with a dad that was a VP of IBM so I wasn't even allowed to say "Apple", but now that I've married an "Apple using wife" I now have to figure stuff like this out....

I've been trying to extend our airport network to no avail. This is the current set up: We have a Cable modem (by Cox Communications) that is plugged into a saucer airport. I was then trying to extend the network to my garage by using a brand new Airport express. It currently isn't letting me "extend the current network". When I "join a network" (my only option)I get errors on my IBM outside usually dealing with IP issues..... why would extending this with the express matter with the IP address?? We have had up to 5 computers just using the old saucer airport (including this same IBM) with no issues, but now that I'm using the express to access it and it won't work......a little help PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!

2. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

3. johnnymac101 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes...

Hahaha, I may be mac challenged, but I got that far. I'm using an older saucer airport as the base, is that the issue possibly? It doesn't give me the option to "extend wireless network"

4. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

Sorry, not trying to talk down to you. So many on here DON'T do their homework. The "flying saucer Airport Extreme" should be able to be extended via an Express. I have fairly current Extreme and it took me several time tinkering with it. Follow this http://iboughtamac.com/2007/08/26/setting-up-an-airport-network/ instruction guide.