Airport/Network questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by xfusejc, Jun 26, 2007.

1. xfusejc macrumors 6502

Sorry for all the questions.

I went out and bought the Extreme. Just finished setting everything up and it works just so incredibly fast. I have my iMac running and my MacBook as well (just connected it) and it's just great. It really is.

Now, I have a couple of questions. The light on my Airport is green, as it should be, but on my modem, where there usually has to be 4 green lights in order to make sure that everything is working fine, the last light (the Internet light) is off. Is this normal, because the Ethernet is connected to the Airport Extreme and not directly to the computer? The internet connection is excellent all over my house, but I'm a little confused as to why the "Internet" light is off, considering I'm surfing the net all over the place.

Secondly, is there any way to know which computers are using my connection? I noticed the iMac didn't mention anything when my MacBook logged on, so I want to know if there's any way. A list would be good, or a pop-up or something that tells me: this computer is currently logged on.

Thirdly, I have a password set up, but I keep hearing of people telling others to use this or that, so I just want to make sure I'm the most secure I can be. I have "WPA/WPA2 Personal" set up as the "Wireless Security" option. Should I change it to any of the other given options or is it fine to stay there?

Some other things: my "Multicast Rate" is set at 2 Mbps, but can go as high as 11 Mbps. Is that fine or should I change it? There's an option of creating a "closed network", whereas I would need to know the name of the network in order to connect to it. So, if I chose that, my MacBook wouldn't pick up that there's one unless I knew the name and entered it beforehand, right? That'd be good security wise, I think.

Lastly (and this is super long, so I'm sorry about that): my iMac is connected to the Airport Extreme base directly via a Ethernet cable. If I turn off Airport in the iMac, I won't be sharing my connection any longer but I can still use the Internet on my iMac, right? I just don't want to leave it on all the time if I'll only need it when I'm on my MacBook. And I just noticed that when the Airport Extreme restarted (I was updating it) the modem got back the 4th light, but then AE turned amber. I had to restart the modem for AE to get the green light back and now we're back to scratch, with the modem missing the light.

According to the settings on my DSL, I'm using a PPPoE connection. I think. Should I select "Connect using the PPPoE" thing on my settings? Would that help?

Thanks if you've read this far :)

2. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

well, i think i can answer a couplke of your questions. first the WPA/WPA2 Personal is good and you dont have to chnage that, has always worked for me. second if you turn of the airport on you imac and leave the ethernet cable plugges in you will have internet access, no wireless whatsoever but you will have internet through the ethernet cable. i dont really understand the problem you are having with the modem, it could be an ISP issue but that seems unlikely. are you able to get internet when the light is off? i was not sure about that

3. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah. I'm accessing the net right now through Airport, but the Internet light on the modem is off. I don't really mind because I still get online, but just thought it was odd.

I don't like having to restart the modem any time that the Extreme gets restarted for some reason though.

4. Furgster macrumors 6502

Furgster

ya, that does seem a little strange, but who cares, it work right :p

5. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, I just changed the Connection Sharing settings to "Bridge Mode" and all the lights are green and blinking, so I guess that solved it. Is it bad to be in bridge mode?

Both the MacBook and the iMac are online without a hitch. Ok, I guess. lol

6. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

And I just turned off the Airport on my iMac. I can still access the internet as long as my MacBook has Airport turned on, which defeats my idea of not having it on all the time and trying to control it through the iMac. Oh, well.

I'd still like to know who is getting connected though.

7. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

8. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

with the closed network doovie, your computers will still notice it, aslong as theyre in the list of preferred networks. well thats how its supposed to work, sometimes it doesnt notice it so u have to manually type in the network name and pswd. it all depends on how much security u want. i would suggest doing this as u have a net 'n' router, with extended distance. could prove safer in the future.

if you want to really be on the safe side there is an option in airport that only allows certain mac addresses to connect to your airport, its a bit over the top but very good in close areas to other networks.

and i have forgotten my last point.. damnit.. ill get back to you. oh wait thats it. detecting hu are using your internet,.. im not aware of any mac programs, maybe you could ping all the addreses. there is a pc programs called 'ip tracker' i think that scans an ip range, it give certain information like mac adderess, name and all that kinda stuff.. if u have a pc it could work good for you.

good luck!

DoFoT9

9. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

I thought there was a way to find out who was on the network via terminal, IE: the type it in way. Maybe that is just in freeBSD though.

10. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

This is because the Macbook is connecting to the Aiport Extreme.

You can get a list of computers connected to your extreme base station using Airport Utility. You can also restrict who connects by MAC (ethernet ID) address. I'd refer you to the manual or help for instructions on how this is done.

11. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you all for the help. I'll look things up when I get home tonight.

12. sfisher macrumors regular

The Internet light often indicates that the DSL modem has established the PPPoE connection for you. It can be off if you are doing PPPoE on the Airport (do you know if you set that up?).

The place to find that would be on the Airport Extreme if anywhere. Otherwise, it is kind of difficult to monitor the "airwaves" to find other machines.

WPA/WPA2 is a good choice for security, just make sure you choose a password that is not easily guessable.

You can leave it at either setting. If you don't know what multicast is, then you won't ever be using it :)

I don't think it is necessary to create a closed network where the name is not announced. If someone wanted to get on your network, they can monitor the airwaves and see the network name anyway. The WPA/WPA2 security protects you even if someone tries to do that.

You don't need the Airport on the iMac if it is directly connected to the Airport Extreme. Your MacBook should be able to connect to the Airport Extreme independently of the iMac. Did I answer your question or misunderstand you?

No need to select PPPoE on the computers as long as it is selected on the DSL modem or the Airport Extreme.

13. xfusejc thread starter macrumors 6502

You've answered everything. Thank you very much :)