Airport networking idea. Help?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jhamerphoto, Jun 20, 2008.

1. jhamerphoto macrumors regular

I was wondering if I could use an Airport Express station to recieve the signal from the Time Capsule and then use the ethernet port on it to plug into my Xbox 360. Anyone ever try this?

I want to get an Airport Express station with my Time Capsule regardless, but I was just wondering if I could refrain from buying the xbox 360 wireless router.

Thanks!

2. Jiff Lemon macrumors member

can't see why it wouldn't work. I do a similar thing with an extreme base station and a couple of Airport express's

3. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

thanks, I hope it works. I figured it would, but I just wasn't sure if the express station could use the ethernet as an output from wireless rather than an input for wireless.

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

I don't think this will work on an express.
    I've heard that it wouldn't, and spent 30 minutes experimenting with it with no success, I don't need it in my current setup, so didn't go further.

I believe you can do it with an extreme, but don't have one, so I can't tell you

5. jhamerphoto thread starter macrumors regular

hmm, tricky issue.
    the real question is will the ethernet port on the express send out signal as well as recieve. chances are no, it won't.

the extreme will obviously because it has output ports. as does the time capsule, so I'm better off just buying the $100 xbox network adapter.

6. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

For some reason I read online that the ethernet port on an Express can act as both (input/output). Don't quote me, but check with Apple.

7. nidserz macrumors 6502a

nidserz

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8310/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/107)

sorry for the double post

8. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

It will work. Set the Airport express up to extend the range of your current network, and plug your Xbox in. It will work perfectly.

I use an Airport express to get an old iMac G4 onto my network (too far for ethernet cable), by just using an Airport express to extend the range of my network, and plugging the iMac in. I can share Airport Disks, printers, Apple TV etc.:)

I don't see why it wouldn't work with the Xbox.