AirPort not finding any wifi-networks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Nimrad, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Nimrad macrumors 6502

I just installed a new AirPort card into my 2006 Mac Pro and it showed up just fine and I was looking forward to getting it online without using iPhone-tethering. BUT, I just can't get it to find any networks? What might be the problem? I've googled, rebooted, updated my drivers etc etc. So now I need some help.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How far away is your wireless router from your MP and how many walls are between it?

3. Nimrad thread starter macrumors 6502

There are some... Don't really know how many, BUT my iPhone has no problems getting pretty OK reception(2-3/3 bars)

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Is one of those networks yours? Or to which wireless network do you connect your iPhone to via 802.11?

Is the antenna connected to the card, and which specific card did you use?

5. Nimrad thread starter macrumors 6502

On my iPhone which atm is right on top of my Mac Pro I am connected to my own wireless network. It usually has 2 out of 3 bars (or more) and I also find another network that I also have the password to with my iPhone. I can't find any of them with my AirPort card...

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

What exact card do you use and is the antenna connected?

7. Nimrad thread starter macrumors 6502

I bought this one.

I have'nt checked the antenna. How do I do that? Do I have to buy an antenna too?

8. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I don't have a Mac Pro with AirPort right now, but our PowerMac had to have an external antenna to receive signals. I don't know, how current Mac Pros (or whatever MP model you have) work with wireless adapters and from where they get there signal, as those cards often don't have built-in antennas.

9. Nimrad thread starter macrumors 6502

I will try a bit more googling, trying to find out, but keep the answers coming if anybody knows how I can fix it. The model I have was bought exactly 3 years back from today.

10. Nimrad thread starter macrumors 6502

Turns out I forgot to connect the two cables that are inside for connection with the antenna. For future reference: number 2 and 3(the 2 long ones) goes in the airport card. Number 1 and BT(the 2 short ones) goes for bluetooth card...