Airport not obtaining correct IP address

Discussion in 'macOS' started by feakbeak, Oct 4, 2008.

1. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I just got a software update notification on my Mac Mini (original G4 version), running 10.4.11. I'll admit I was bad and didn't look at everything in the list. There were four items one was a Java update for Mac, another was iTunes 8.0.1 but I'm not sure about the other two.

At any rate, I got prompted for a reboot and accepted. When my Mac Mini came back up Airport wouldn't connect. I don't know why, it is turned on and if I select my wifi network it will connect but I'm not getting a correct IP address from my router, instead it gets a self-assigned IP and I can't connect to anything.

Other Info:
    I'm using a D-Link DI-624 router, I'm reasonably familiar with networking stuff
    I have static DHCP setup for the Mac Mini, I've confirmed the MAC address is correct on the router, though even still I do allow dynamic DHCP as well.

Things I've tried:
    DHCP lease renewal from the network applet
    Reconfiguring the Airport connection to ensure the WEP password is correct
    Another reboot of Mac Mini, same behavior again
    Rebooting my router, no luck

Any other suggestions on what might be going on here? All of my other devices wired and wireless are working just fine and I can release/renew and get the proper IP address.

Another question, is there a way you can check what you've recently installed through Software Update?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Does your Mac mini have proper networking when using a manually added IP address?
    You could also try removing the Static entry in your DHCP server, and then see if your Mac mini does get a "normal" DHCP IP number, to find out if either your Mac mini DHCP client, or the DHCP server is causing the trouble.

If you want to check your "log" of Software Updates:
    >> Sys Prefs >> Software Update, choose "Installed Updates", and sort by date.

See pic.

Attached Files:

3. feakbeak thread starter macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

Thanks for the response.

I did try doing DHCP with a manual address, using the static IP configured on my router. That didn't work either.

I'm currently posting from my Mac Mini using the built-in ethernet, which grabs an IP just fine.

I tried your suggestion and deleted my static routing entry for my Mac Mini but it still won't pull an IP, still obtaining a self-acquired one that doesn't work at all.

I'm a bit stumped. Is there some command lines or other utilities I can run to get further information about exactly where this is failing when trying to get an IP? I tried checking out the Network Utility but didn't find anything too helpful.

edit: Thanks for the software update tip. It was the latest security update for OS X and an image viewer update or something in addition to the other two I listed.

4. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

I didn't mean manual IP address using DHCP, I meant setting your Airport IP manually, without DHCP at all, just to see if TCP/IP over Airport works at all.

Open your Console.app, and try to find the log file(s) regarding DHCP...

You could also try removing all Airport-related prefs.
    1) Turn Airport off
    2) Sys Prefs >> Network >> Airport. remove the "Preferred Network"
    3) Remove any 802.1X profiles.
    4) Reconnect to Airport Network.