Airport not working after 10.6.2 upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by vimkgt, Nov 10, 2009.

1. vimkgt macrumors newbie

Just finished installing 10.6.2 through software update. Upon reboot, the airport card is not picking up any signals anymore. I turned airport off and then back on again but no luck. It just doesn't see any networks at all, usually it picks up 4 or 5 in the area.

Oddly enough, after installing 10.6.2, the wireless card doesn't work in Windows 7 w/ bootcamp anymore either. Both worked fine before the update, I just can't see any reason why Windows 7 would be affected by the OS X update.

My other Windows computer connects fine to my network so it shouldn't be a router problem. Anyone else seen this issue after updating?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Had the same issue with my Macbook. Reset the PRAM and the airport picked up all has been well.

3. gtam macrumors newbie

Unfortunately, I'm also suffering from a similar fate. I don't have windows installed but I can't manage to connect to my router through AirPort either, the bright side is that it picked up my neighbor's very weak WIFI. The error message is "connection timeout". Could anyone help us out here? Thanks in advance.

4. gtam macrumors newbie

Is it related though? I did some research online and found this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1242

Note: "Unlike prior versions of the Mac OS, Mac OS X does not store network settings in PRAM. If you experience a network issue, resetting PRAM will not help."

Someone please help!

5. retroneo macrumors 6502a

My Mac mini won't allow me to turn on AirPort since I first rebooted into 10.6.2.

Selecting "Turn AirPort On" in the AirPort menu, or in System Preferences does nothing and it stays off.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

SMC reset and removing com.apple.airport.preferences.plist should work if System Profiler detects the AirPort.

7. Draft macrumors 6502

I'm having this problem as well on my 2006 MBP. Is it only me or is it *extremely* annoying that you have to blow away your preferences to get this working again?

8. Draft macrumors 6502

I tried this and my wireless continues to drop. Anyone have any other fixes? This is really annoying to say the least.

9. MacNorway macrumors newbie

Different set of problems...

Seems the 10.6.2 brought more related problems to the table. My wifi acts up in the way that I suddenly lose the network connection, yet the airport icon shows four bars. Clicking the icon shows that no networks are present or connected. Turning Airport off leaves it in a state where it cannot be turned on again, neither from the menubar nor from the control panel. Reboot is the only way of getting back online.

10. EugeneKiver macrumors newbie

Having exactly the same problem. I've tried everything suggested on this thread http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10130639&#10130639 , but still nothing. I've installed 10.6.2. update earlier, but really noticeable problems started yesterday. I had to reboot my mac 6 times per day in order to get an airport connection back.

MacBook Pro 15" early 2008

11. dadaB macrumors newbie

Finally!! It appears I am not the only one suffering from this. I have an early 2008 17 inch macbook pro on which I am running Windows 7, Kubuntu and Snow Leopard on separate partitions. Ever since the 10.6.2 update, my wireless crashes constantly in all the operating systems. I think Apple must have included a firmware update for the wireless card which is causing the crashes. This has happened several times in the past usually after a installing software updates from apple. I have tried every fix out there but the only way I have been able to resolve this in the past has been to take my laptop to the apple store and have it repaired, usually by replacing the logic board or wireless card. I cannot keep doing this. Does anyone have any working suggestions? Thanks in advance

12. vimkgt thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably not much help to anyone out there but for me, the problem did turn out to be the router for me. It just coincidentally happened at the exact same time I upgraded to 10.6.2. Started to look into the router when my other Windows computer started to drop the network too a day later.

Everything worked after I changed my routers wireless channel from Auto to a manual setting (I just picked 11 but I'm sure anything would work).

Hope the rest of you have some luck in getting the wifi working

13. theARNSKI macrumors regular

Early 2009 White Macbook and having the same issues after installing 10.6.2.

Everything was working fine this morning. Then when I came home in the afternoon, airport started acting up and now it's becoming unresponsive.

14. JamesRyanJ macrumors newbie

I'm having the same issues. I recently bought my MacBook Pro and the fix from the Apple Store was for me to "return it for another one." That hasn't done it. I'm hoping there is a fix for this soon.