Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

holtchristian

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
Alright so i upgraded my airport in my macbook pro to wireless-n a few days ago... perfect, nothing went wrong,very easy install. but then i was near a wired ethernet cord, just plugged it in overnight for reliability(for downloads)- and when i disconnected it and went to turn my airport back on, it was off and i could not click anything. dont even know where to start- help please

snapshot20071225132445se7.png
?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Does the computer need to be restarted to complete the install, and have you done so? Also, try checking for software updates.

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
You weren't very clear whether it worked after the install or not...did it?

Check it is in securely again, because it seems like it hasn't detected it. Try resetting SMC.

holtchristian

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
it definitly worked- perfectly, it still is there in my hardware- it just says it is turned off... i dont get it

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
A brief search on Google told me that to turn the AirPort off in Terminal, use this command: sudo ifconfig en1 down

I'd assume sudo ifconfig en1 up would reverse, but that is a guess so unless someone else can back that up I'd be weary of trying that.

holtchristian

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
i have the first gen macbook pro core duo- upgraded to the wireless-n, but i used the mac pro airport card cause thats how its done, only uses two antenna wires instead of three... yadayadayada dont really think thats the issue, it seriously worked fine, rather perfect right away. and for a few days until i plugged in the ethernet cord. i will try resetting the smc later tonight, but till then... any other suggestions. and will resetting it do much to my preferences... tell me what to look out for. thanks

holtchristian

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
andd the terminal code required a password... a password that i didnt have. wasnt any of mine at least

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I had this problem on my G4 PowerMac. People in the Apple Discussion Forums said to create a new location in Network Preferences. I know it fixed my issue.

holtchristian

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 20, 2007
GENIUS! It worked! i went to network settings- added a connection- clicked turn on and badabingbadaboom- its on! thanks so much for the help everyone and merry christmas!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.