AirPort on campus Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by RQPS, Aug 21, 2008.

1. RQPS macrumors regular

RQPS

What am I doing wrong? I have plugged my Airport express into the ethernet port in my room, my computer finds it but the internet does not work. I went though the set up assistant and diagnosis neither fixed the problem? I have used my express at home for years and never had a problem setting it up. Is there something I have to change to get it to work here on campus?

2. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

Depends if your campus network is set up to allow residents to set up wireless networks. I'd check with your IT department.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

What does the IP address say in the Internet Tab on the APX? Do you have it in Bridge mode or Share an Address mode?

TEG

4. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

They are because I am picking up like 6 of my neighbors but they are all locked.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You have to use bridge mode in the Internet tab.

Also some campus networks require you to register your computer--well you need to register the Airport MAC address as well.

6. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

I think thats the problem something with the IP address because I plugged my computer in to first set it on campus but now I am trying to get on with a different IP address through the airport. How do I bridge them or link them?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

It is actually the MAC address that takes care of it. Try going thought the setup process again while connected to the network.

TEG

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

[​IMG]

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

IP address or MAC address? The IP address is automatically assigned to your computer by the school's DHCP servers. Your MAC address, on the other hand, may need to be registered with the school's IT dept. before you can gain access to their network. Even if you already registered the MAC address for your computer, you'll have to register the MAC address for your Express as well.

10. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

Thanks alot let me try and turn on bridge mode.

11. RQPS thread starter macrumors regular

RQPS

Didn't work, I don't have that bridge mode I am using an Airport Express

12. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

The airport express has that option. Although, it might look a little different than the screenshot above.