Airport overwrote the Network on our PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Rahsten, Oct 16, 2008.

1. Rahsten macrumors regular

Rahsten

I think?

I'm new to this wireless thing. My wife and I are sitting here trying to figure it out. She's on PC (Sony VAIO) and I'm on a MacBook. She successfully managed to setup her PC to access wirelessly through our router. It's her Dad's computer and in his house so we decided to set it up first to establish the network. I thought me being on a Mac that I would have no problems. I was wrong.

I went into Sys Pref>Network, clicked on Airport, turned it on and used the assistant to connect. When the list of networks showed up there were 3, Apple Network 74450d (no pass required), AirPort (pass required) and anpanman (pass required). I asked my wife what the network name was and she said, 'I dunno.' So, using the password from our provider i just tried the 2 that required passwords and failed to connect. Then I tried the Apple Network that didn't require a password...I joined successfully and immediately after doing so, the connection on the PC disappeared and we can't reconnect wirelessly on either of the computers.

I'm not sure what I did but would like to know how to undo it, lol. Right now my wife is going through the wireless network setup on her PC again, is that a step in the right direction? This time she managed to tell me some Network name too. But it's nothing like any of the names that showed up before, and she says she didn't set it up as a closed network.

Anyways, if anyone understands this and can give me some insight to our problem I'd greatly appreciate it.

2. belvdr macrumors 603

You need to know the SSID before you can connect. It may very well be that she connected to some ad-hoc computer-to-computer network. You need to check that router and see what the SSID of it is.

3. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

Where would I find the SSID? And once I have it, how do I use it to connect wirelessly?

I'm pretty sure she didn't connect to some ad-hoc network considering the neighborhood we're in.

She just followed the Setup Guide disk from our provider.

4. Rahsten thread starter macrumors regular

Rahsten

OK, I have the SSID. My wife got the PC running on wireless again. However, my MacBook only detects other networks in the area, not the one my wife set up. I even manually enter the SSID and password but connection fails. I noticed with the SSID they have names like PRS300SE-XXXXXX-1 and PRS300SE-XXXXXX-2 and so on. Which one do I enter? And then for the password do I select WEP, WPA, etc. There are like 8 different options for types of passwords but when I ask my wife which of those it is she has no idea... we live in Japan so i think the provider's documentation must use different Japanese words for those things.

Anyways, I can't seem to figure out how to get my Mac connect to the wireless network.

Please help me.