Airport: Port Forwarding for Multiple Computers?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by legaleye3000, Apr 12, 2009.

1. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

After adding the IP address of one computer on my network for port forwarding, I try to do the same ports for another port but I get the message "those ports are already forwarded" or something to that effect.

However, its only setup for one of my computers and I need the second one to have the same ports open...

Please help. Thank you.

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Unless Apple has introduced something new, you generally can't do that. When incoming traffic is generated on the internet to the WAN IP of the network, the outside computer wouldn't know which of the local computers would "pick up," so the behavior would be erratic.

What you can do is open two WAN ports and route them to the same local port on the two computers... like, for instance, if you wanted port 25 open, you might open the WAN port 25 to computer A as its port 25, and then you might open the WAN port 2000 to computer B as its port 25. That is possible. Having incoming traffic on the WAN port 25 go to both computers isn't.

3. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

For example, on my linksys router, I would tell the router which ports I want open and then which computers it applies to: so 192.168.1.2(lets say my computer...), then my other computer 192.168.1.5. So it would not apply to .3 and .4 . The "outside" computer wouldn't have to know anything... Just the router would know what to let in and out and what not to...

Its weird if Apple's router can't do that...

4. waw74 macrumors 68030

you can't forward the same port to 2 different computers.
    for example if you're running 2 different web servers, you need to run one on 80 (the standard) and the other on 81 or something. if you have 80 forwarded to 2 different computers, the router won't know where to send the data when it comes in.

5. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Your posts are confusing, because you're using different terms interchangeably that normally have different meanings (and also because you don't appear to be reading the responses). Are you trying to forward the same port to two different computers, or are you trying to forward different ports to two different computers?

6. legaleye3000 thread starter macrumors 65816

This is what I'm trying to do: I'm trying to open ports for a game. Those ports are listed on the game manufacturer's website. I have two computers (two different IP's given by my router) on the same wireless router.

When I had a Linksys router, I would just go to the port forwarding page in the router utility and type in the tcp/udp ports and then tell them which ip (my computers) the open ports should I apply to.

So if I have 5 computers (192.168.1.1; .2; .3; .4; .5) and I only want .2 and .5 computers to have those open ports, how would I do that on the Apple router?

I hope that made sense.