Airport/Printer Installation Issues

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mac in Black, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Mac in Black macrumors newbie

Hello,

First post on MacRumors.

I recently set my mixed (Mac/PC) home network up on an Airport network. In addition to 2 laptops and my old Mac desktop, I've connected a Cannon iP-6220D color ink jet printer and a Brother MFC-8220.

The problem I'm having is with the printers. Initial setup was simple and worked perfectly. For a few days. Over the past 2 weeks, however, the printers have randomly dropped connectivity 4 or 5 times. When it happens, they won't print from any computer. The only solution I've found is to reinstall them via Bonjour and then they work fine...for a few days until I have to go through this again.

When they quit printing, the rest of my network still works fine and Airport Utility and Bonjour both show the printers as connected, so I presume they're still on the network. It's just that my computers can't communicate with them.

I've checked settings, tried rebooting the network, turning off/on the printers, all to no avail.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

MiB

2. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

That's a hard question to answer.
    I suppose the printers are connected via an integrated WiFi chip in the printer?

3. Mac in Black thread starter macrumors newbie

No, they're both connected to the Airport Extreme via powered D-Link multi-port USB hub.