Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stardude67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
Does anyone have experience using either an HP Photosmart PS E-AIO, Canon Pixma MP499, or Kodak ESP e310 printer with an Airport Express? Those are the three low cost printers I can find locally and I'd like to know which one might work best. I have an old iBook G4 running OS 10.4.11 and a new PC running Windows 7, both using the Airport.
Thanks

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
I don't know much about the printers that you listed. But I cant tell you that I recently got rid of my Kodak printer because it absolutely HATED my Airport Network. We had so many problems with it hooking up and staying connected to the network.

Amazon has the Epson Stylus NX420 for $59 with free shipping and is the same one that is on the Apple Store for $99.95. I got it on Wednesday and it connected beautifully to the network and so far is working wonderfully.

stardude67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
I found out since my original post that none of the new HP printers work with any Mac OS older than 10.5. I'm sure I would have more choices if I could mail order one, but I have to get this hooked up for my parents before I leave town in a couple of days. I think I'll try the Canon. Keep your fingers crossed for me! The old HP 3745 I'm replacing has been a nightmare when hooked up to the Airport.

stardude67

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 15, 2011
Rock Hill, SC
b-rad: I decided to look one more place in town and found the Epson you suggested on sale, so I got it. The installation CD was useless on the PC so I had to add the printer to the network and install it on the PC manually. However, the CD set up the old iBook flawlessly. I still haven't been able to get the scanner to work on the PC, but the iBook will scan and both computers will print over wifi. Even with the PC problems, it's way better than the old HP I'm replacing, so thanks very much for the recommendation!

b-rad g

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
No problem. Glad you were able to find one that will work for you. So far really happy with ours!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.