Airport Problem, Old School Style

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dsnort, Feb 27, 2008.

1. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I recently purchased an original Apple Airport off of eBay for an iBook Clamshell upgrade project I am undertaking. It arrived today, and I wanted to test it out so I could post feedback and close the transaction. I'm not quite ready to tear into the Clamshell,so I decided to install the card in an old G3 iMac I had handy to see if it would work.

Install was easy, fired the G3 off, everything came up fine. Opened internet connect, select Airport. Drill down on the network, and see my wireless network. Select my network, enter password, can't connect. It gives me the "There was a problem connecting to XXYYZZ Network" message.

I tried a few things first, checked system preferences to see that it was set up right. Finally I opened the Airport Setup Utility. Get through the first couple of steps, to where it asks for the networks password, when I enter it, the utility tells me the password is invalid. I know it's the right password.

Now, I'm not completely hopeless on a computer, but I'm a little fuzzy on this whole networking thing,especially WEP, WPA, WPA2 encryption, and how they interact. I noticed that though my network is set up as WEP, the G3 only gave me the option of WPA. As I understand it, it should still work.

Here are the specs
    Network Router is an AEBS set up 802.11n(b,g compatible), WEP encryption requiring password exactly 13 characters,( I don't know why).

Computer is a 600Mhz G3 iMac "Snow" with original Airport card.

I should also mention I have another iBook Clamshell with the original Airport, and it connects flawlessly.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

If I remember correctly don't you need to add $ to the WEP Key.

3. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

5. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

Sorry, no joy.

Article seems to reference third party non-Apple base stations. Mine is an Apple Extreme Base Station.

Thanks though! :eek:

6. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

the $ sign was based on the hardware end, not the base station. If I recall correctly, I could never connect with a clamshell w/o the $. What encryption areyou using on the extreme?

7. dsnort thread starter macrumors 68000

dsnort

WEP encryption on the extreme.

Is there a way to check to see if the airport card in the G3 is sending? I assume that it's receiving since it "see's" the network, could it be it's not sending anything out?

EDIT: Never mind, it's transmitting fine. Still won't connect though.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Did you try the $ trick? Also what happens when you disable encryption, can you connect then?