Airport problem with new ISP

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by hkriffraff, Apr 14, 2007.

1. hkriffraff macrumors regular

I recently switched from a DSL to a cable broadband ISP and use the same Belkin wireless router at home. I had no issues for a couple weeks, but in the last few days, the internet speed on my Macbook Pro will seemingly come to a halt after a while. I don't experience the same problem on an older Powerbook.

After some trial and error, I've found that the problem is temporarily fixed by switching the airport off and on.

My ISP can't seem to offer any help with this problem. Does anyone know what steps I should take?

2. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Well it definitely wouldn't be your ISP if your PowerBook isn't doing it...

It's software [possibly your AirPort card] that is the problem. Are you updated with all updates?

Does it do the same thing to another access point?

3. hkriffraff thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, I've installed all updates. I don't seem to have this problem at other access points. My ISP says there is no problem with the connection, but the problem curiously began shortly after I switched to them.

I've tried deleting com.apple.airport.preferences.plist from my systemconfiguration folder, but the problem persists. Sometimes I'm ok for a couple hours. Sometimes I have to restart airport every 10 minutes!

Any ideas please? This is so annoying!

4. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Well, then... it might be your router. What kind of security do you have enabled?