Airport problem

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by genewhite1, Dec 18, 2010.

1. genewhite1 macrumors newbie

I recently purchased an older model Airport Extreme on Ebay. Came in the original box and looks as though it was never used. I installed it on my G5 single processor which is equipped with an Airport Extreme card. I get my internet from Cox Communications in Tucson via a Scientific Atlanta modem. When I do a diagnostic, it shows everything related to the Airport is green. But, it doesn't work and I have no connection to the internet. What am I doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. simsaladimbamba, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010

simsaladimbamba

Can you be more specific how you setup the whole shebang?
    Did you connect the AEBS to the modem? How did you setup the AEBS to connect to the internet? How do you access the AEBS from your Power Mac? Does it work via ethernet cable? Does AirPort Utility show an internet connection?
    What kind of wireless network have you setup and what AirPort Utility and Mac OS X version do you use? And what exact AEBS do you have?*

* open AirPort Utility, copy the serial number shown under the SUMMARY tab, go to http://www.appleserialnumberinfo.com/Desktop/index.php and paste the serial and see for yourself.

3. genewhite1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, simsaladimbamba.

Thanks for responding.

I installed the Airport Extreme Base Station and powered it up. Disconnected the ethernet cable from the Scientific Atlanta modem and connected it to the AEBS by plugging it into the WAN receptacle. Unplugged power to the Scientific Atlanta modem, waited one minute and then plugged it in again so the system would recognize the AEBS. Opened Airport Utility and checked to see if AEBS is recognized. It is. All green lights. But, no connection to internet. AEBS is set up Automatic.

AEBS shows center light on constant. Lights on either side are constantly flashing.

Airport Utility is version 5.5.1
    Mac OSX is Leopard 10.5.8

I plugged in the serial # of the AEBS on the website you suggested and it came back with a message that it was incorrect. Serial # is 6F61621UTTF

4. simsaladimbamba

Okay, I don't know how US telephone setups do work, but I have to connect the modem to the telephone line and the modem to the router (in your and my case, the AEBS), as the router (AEBS) is not a modem and the AEBS needs a modem to properly connect to the internet.

[​IMG]

5. genewhite1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well yes, that is how the system works and that is basically what I have. The ethernet cable from my modem is connected directly to the AEBS and Airport Utility says everything is working, green lights on everything. No internet connection, though.

6. simsaladimbamba

I didn't get that from your second post, the part about the modem connected via cable to the AEBS.

But how did you setup the AEBS to connect to the internet via AirPort Utility? PPPoE or Ethernet?

7. genewhite1 thread starter macrumors newbie

AEBS is connected by Ethernet cable using DHCP.

8. simsaladimbamba

I mean something else. When you open AirPort Utility and click the MANUAL SETUP button, there are five icons in the toolbar on top: AirPort, Internet, Printers, Disks and Advanced.
    When you click the Internet icon, you have to configure how to connect (or dial up, using the modem) to the internet. Normally that is done via PPPoE by simply entering your telephone number and maybe a password. You have used another router before I guess and if you haven't thrown it away or reset it, take a look at its PPPoE settings or get the contract between the telephone company or ISP and you and look what data they gave you.

Btw, how do you connect to the internet now?

9. genewhite1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good News! ;D Airport now functioning normally.

First, I replaced the Airport Extreme card with an extra one that I had to eliminate that possibility. No change.

Next, I went into system preferences and reset the AEBS to factory default settings. I then used the assistant to set up a new wireless connection with a new password. I then unplugged power to my cable modem, waited a minute or so and restored power to the modem. Ran a diagnostic and bingo, everything working perfectly.

Thanks to all who tried to help. I hope the thread is of some help to others with similar problems. I have found restoring to factory settings and making use of the assistant is a good fix for a lot of things.

Thanks to simsaladimbamba and MacRumors for taking the time.