AirPort Problems and No Internet on PC

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by doubleohseven, Feb 26, 2008.

1. doubleohseven macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Hello everyone,

An AirPort Extreme Base Station is connected to my family's PC. Last night, the internet stopped working. The weird thing is, the modem is working fine, the Base Station's light is green and my MacBook picks up the router (but no internet).

My Mum called our internet provider, and the call representative said that it's the router (Base Station) that's causing the problem. When connecting the ethernet cable to my Mac the internet works, but when I try to connect the same cable to the back of the PC's tower, it won't fit (it would only fit on the Base Station).

To sum it up:
    - Modem works.
    - AirPort Extreme Base Station works, but cannot provide the internet to my Mac.
    - There is no internet on the PC, but there is internet on the Mac when connected to the ethernet cable.
    - The ethernet cable can connect on the Mac and Base Station but can not fit properly (the ethernet port is too small) at the back of the PC's tower.

Does anyone know how to get the internet back on the PC and to get the router working?

Many thanks in advance. :)

2. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

First... the AEBS will repeatedly drop your connection from time to time. Unplug it and the modem and plug them both back in again and then wait for it to start up. This should fix your Mac problem... yes, it sucks, and I'm waiting for it to be less of an issue, but as of right now... it just happens. What firmware do you have on it? 7.2 is more stable than 7.2.1, so you may want to roll back to it.

Second... I don't understand why your ethernet cable wouldn't fit in the back of your PC... it's a standard size. Are you sure you're not trying to use the phone line connection by mistake? All ethernet cable should "fit" in every ethernet port.

3. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Thank you for your help; I unplugged the modem and Base Station, and plugged them both in. Now the PC's internet is back and my MacBook is getting its internet wirelessly.

The Base Station is running 7.2.1. How can I get 7.2 back? I couldn't find anything on Apple's website.

Also, the ethernet cable is definitely not a phone wire; I still got no idea why it doesn't fit. :rolleyes:

4. JimmyDThing macrumors regular

Go into your Airport Utility and select "Manuel Setup" and under firmware version select 7.2 instead of 7.2.1

What I meant was that maybe you are trying to plug the ethernet cable into the incorrect port on your PC.... but I thought you said your internet is working on your PC now?

5. doubleohseven thread starter macrumors 6502a

doubleohseven

Sorry for the confusion, but the cable I was trying to connect was from the base station, not from the modem. There is another cable that fits into the PC's tower, which is from the modem. Arrrrgh all these cables...:D

Also, thank you for telling me where I can get the 7.2 firmwire version from.

And yes, the internet is working fine after turning off the modem and router, and turning it back on again.