Airport problems

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jinxer5000, Mar 3, 2008.

1. jinxer5000 macrumors member

Just booted up for the first time and can't connect to the internet. Airport keeps scanning and sees my network but I can't connect? suggestions?

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Can you give us some more info?

What type of wireless (ABGN), what brand router, any encryption being used?

3. jinxer5000 thread starter macrumors member

it's a linksys g router there is WEP security I've tried both 128 and the other

4. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Ok, for starters I know Apple recommends WPA so if that is available you might try that.. have you used this router with other Apple laptops before?

Is there a specific error you are getting? Timed out? Invalid Password? Or just cannot connect?

I'd start troubleshooting by temp. disabling security, see if it can connect then. If you manage that, you know it's a security issue. If you don't, then you'll have to look elsewhere. But I would start there - if it works with WEP disabled, try WPA.

5. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

whoa~ seems to me alot of people are having airport problems with the new penryn mbp. Hope it gets addressed with an update.

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Yeah, I had trouble at first too but turned out to be router firmware rather than the MBP. Just about pulled my hair out figuring out the problem though ;) Hard to tell if it's an Apple issue or just a configuration issue at this point - I bet there are tons of people who didn't have trouble.

7. jinxer5000 thread starter macrumors member

To all those out there...UPDATE YOUR ROUTER FIRMWARE!

Problem solved!!

8. jacjac3 macrumors member

kindda sucks when yr the only one in class who can't get one the internet.