Airport Q's

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BuzzedHornet, Feb 29, 2008.

1. BuzzedHornet macrumors newbie

When I close my lid on my MBP the airport disconnects from the internet. Where do I go to change this. I was looking at the settings and i didn't see where you make the change to keep the connection on all the time.

Thanks,
    Rob

2. Sdao macrumors 6502

Good question, I was also wondering that... anyone know the answer?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

When you close the lid, the computer goes to sleep, it shuts everything down. That is the definition of sleep.

Are you talking about an AirPort Base Station disconnecting from a PPPoE source when you put the computer to sleep? If so, your base station may not be connecting to the internet, but just letting your computer to. You can fix this my removing all the PPPoE info from the computer and setting it to get its address via DHCP, then setting up the BaseStation for PPPoE, then to distribute IP addresses via DHCP and NAT.

TEG

4. aaron.lee2006 macrumors 65816

aaron.lee2006

You can't, when you close the lid the computer goes to sleep to conserve power. The only way to do that would be to keep the computer awake, but if you are transporting it, the computer would over heat in a bag, etc.

5. BuzzedHornet thread starter macrumors newbie

That is a bit disappointing. With my old windows laptop I could set everything up to stay awake with the lid closed (except the display of course) as one profile at home and switch to a different profile for travel that put it all in complete sleep mode.

I need to find a way to customize the "sleep" of my new MBP so it will not go to sleep each time I close the lid. It interrupts my downloads every time.

6. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Just turn the screen brightness to zero instead of closing the lid. If you like you can then almost completely close the lid too.

8. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Or set the display to sleep quickly.

TEG

9. pseudonym~ macrumors newbie

To be honest, this is one of the huge deal-breakers for me. I love the way my laptop I have now can be kept running 24/7 (lid shut) and downloads continue to run.

Is there a program which can keep the computer on when the lid is closed, and the internet can stay connected?

10. e12a macrumors 68000

e12a

look up insomniax

be warned though, everytime i use it on my 2.33 MBP the fans slowly spin up to max speed. Annoying when i'm trying to sleep.

11. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

When you close the lid the computer goes to sleep. When you close the lid it means you are finished working with the computer so its logical that goes to sleep.

If you really want it to stay awake, get an application that forces it not to sleep. I never used them so I dont know they names. Go to version tracker or some other site and search for one.

12. vocaro macrumors regular

In what way is that a benefit to you?

Note that Mac laptops are designed to run 24/7 with the lid shut if you have an external screen attached to them.