Airport question(s)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bjjp2, Aug 1, 2012.

1. bjjp2 macrumors regular

I have an Airport Extreme as my main router. I then have an older generation (wall wart) Express I use as a range extender. Problem is, certain areas of my house still don't get a signal. Questions:

1. Any reason to believe that the newest Express would extend the range further than the previous one if I replace it?

2. What's the best way to extend the range further to the parts of my house that aren't getting signal? As I understand it, if I add another Express (a second one) to my network it will degrade the speed/performance of the network, right? Are there other solutions? (I've been reading about "homeplug". Does anyone use that along with an Extreme?)

Thanks, and sorry for my ignorance. The more I read about networking the more confused I get.

2. robgendreau macrumors 68030

Wifi is radio, so things like removing obstructions (you didn't need that wall, di you?), removing devices on 2.4ghz that interfere, better antennas, etc. will help your signal reach places it didn't before. Some routers are better than others; check out www.smallnetbuilder.com for some reviews.

Sending ethernet over your electrical system is an option as well. It basically just uses adapters to send a signal over your existing wiring, with adapters to move it back to regular ethernet. And more equipment to buy.

I don't know your layout, but ethernet cable is really cheap. And even if you had to pay an installer to say run a length upstairs it might be cheaper than buying new wifi stuff. And very reliable and fast. You can get 100' of cable from monoprice for less than $15; attach your Express via cable, run it around and see if you can get it's wifi where you want it, and then have an installer put it in or DIY.